Amy Francis
Post     Subject: Wildflower of the week

I thought I'd share a wildflower that I love...in fact so much so that I wanted it in my lawn meadow!

It's Golden Rod. It really shines in the sunlight!   I dug a few up from a site where they were abundant...here they are!

Jason Hernandez

I know some of these.
Your lavendar flower right after the bloodroot is some species of violet.
The daisies on the same post with the blackberry look like fleabane.
I think your "odd white curved flower" on the streambank is lizard's tail.
Kevin Carson

The most widespread wildflowers on my land in spring and summer are white yarrow, red clover and lazy daisies. The yarrow is so prolific it look like a cotton field when it's in bloom.
Steve Thorn

Artie Scott wrote:Having trouble identifying this one - anybody know it?

Maybe an aster? Possibly showy aster?
Artie Scott

Having trouble identifying this one - anybody know it?
Steve Thorn

I really like the flowers of this Virgina Buttonweed (diodia virginiana).

They are a really bright white and the flowers are really tiny.
Artie Scott

Up this week is what I believe to be swamp milkweed, a bit past prime perhaps, but still beautiful I think. Grows quite tall and bows gracefully - these are probably at least 4 feet tall.

Asclepias incarnata, aka silk plant. Indigenous people used the silky seed parachutes to make thread.

https://virginiawildflowers.org/2015/07/06/swamp-milkweed-or-silkplant/
Hugo Morvan

I've got this growing in my garden Cynoglossum germanicum or common hounds tongue. It's quite rare and is not known to grow in my district, so for a couple of years i've been spreading the seeds. On the way to a festival, have my daughter chucking them out while discussing promising biotopes. They have sticky buds, so when my nieces were around this summer we were throwing them at each other. They were going on a camping site and i had the idea to give them a lot in a big yoghurt jar to throw on the kids at the site, which would then take them to other camp sites where they would fall of and populate other camping sites, where kids would throw them on each other etc. Slowly but surely the common hounds tongue would make a surprising come back in this world of eternal dwindling species. Then their nephew came to the camping site and threw them all in his sisters long curly hair. Took their mom an afternoon to get them all out. I daren't ask her what she had done with them.
Still spreading them though!! Photo i took of the internet.
Artie Scott

Up this week:  the lovely Ironweed, or at least I think it is. Veronia, a member of the Astor family. Butterflies love it!
Artie Scott

Interesting, thanks Jay!  These were growing wild along a trail on the edge of a woodland, so I am pretty sure they are not a cultivar, but who knows, birds do get around!  I will try to get back over to that side of the property - they are probably gone past by now, but might get lucky.
Jay Angler

Purples and pinks are dominant, but when I googled images, they showed white and some edging toward yellow. That's why I'm suggesting it's a relative or a cross. To me the flowers aren't *exactly* the right shape either, as if someone intentionally selected/bred for some changes, or it's something different but similar. The overall plant really looks familiar to me, except for the colour, and we've got a lot of foxglove on our property.
Artie Scott

Hey Jay, that’s possible, but I thought foxglove is usually purple?
Jay Angler

The yellow flowers 6 posts back look a lot like foxglove, but not quite. I wonder if they're a relative? Or a cross?
Steve Thorn

Hugo Morvan wrote:Steve, three month ago you said this.
Violets by the stream and another small unknown white flower.
The unknown white flower could well be watercress, hope you still remember where it was.
Wash well or very lightlu stir fry to kill the liver fluke parasite.
I'll look if i can find some pics to add to the topic, nice idea!

Very neat, thanks Hugo!
Hugo Morvan

Steve, three month ago you said this.
The unknown white flower could well be watercress, hope you still remember where it was.
Wash well or very lightlu stir fry to kill the liver fluke parasite.
I'll look if i can find some pics to add to the topic, nice idea!
Artie Scott

I believe this is Knapweed, one of the many varieties in the Centaurea genus.  Said to produce lots of nectar; also somewhat allelopathic.

I think it looks like a fireworks display.
Artie Scott

Love the color on this one. I believe it is common rose pink, Sabatia Angularis.  Also called bitter bloom, but how does such a gorgeous flower get such a name?  Said to have antiperiodic properties, but that seems uncertain.
Artie Scott

Goldenrod, or Solidago, has made its appearance this week. Said to have astringent and decongestant properties.
Artie Scott

Not sure what this beauty is called - anyone know?
Artie Scott

Have been AWOL for the last couple of weeks - too busy to stop and smell (photograph) the flowers perhaps. This week, Queen Anne’s Lace, Daucus Carota, or wild carrot, decorating my fence line. Couldn’t have arranged it better if I tried!  

Said to have numerous health benefits related to the urinary tract.
Artie Scott

One of my favorites this week - brown-eyed Susan, or Rudbeckia Hirta. I believe some call it Black-eyed Susan as well.
Artie Scott

This one I know - milkweed, or Asclepius.

Butterflies are diggin it.
Artie Scott

On offer this week, courtesy of Mother Nature, a couple of lovelies for your viewing pleasure.

And yes, at some point I will be able to identify all of these flowers!  So much to learn, so little time...
Steve Thorn

Honeysuckle is blooming here too.

It smells so good outside near any woods.
Artie Scott

Mmmmmm....honeysuckle....
Artie Scott

For your viewing pleasure this week, we have a white rose-like plant flowering along the creek, a yellow daisy-ish flower, and an odd white curved flower that may not yet be in full bloom - will post more of that if it blossoms more. It is in sandy soil  along the creek.
Mike Barkley

The does look like a dogwood. Nice pix.
Artie Scott

Some lovelies for your enjoyment this week. Future wild blackberries, planted by birds!  I can taste blackberry pie already. Yum.

And a daisy sort of arrangement.

Artie Scott

Some new lovelies this week!
Artie Scott

Dogwood maybe?
Artie Scott

Some more early Spring lovelies to enjoy.
Steve Thorn

Artie Scott

Lavender flower
Artie Scott

Bloodroot
Artie Scott

A couple of wildflowers this week. First, the humble dandelion, a cheerful early spring arrival. Second, what Phil Gardner suggested in another post may be Blood Root. And third, a very small and delicate lavender flower, not sure what it is.  
Artie Scott

Redbuds and violet flowers
Artie Scott

I mentioned in another post that one of the things I love about my land is that every week seems to bring a new and different wildflower, from about mid-March to about mid-October. I thought it might be fun to capture them all here. Add yours!  

This week we have the ever beautiful redbuds beginning their show!  Perhaps not technically a wildflower, but it is wild, and it flowers, so it makes the thread!  And here are some tiny violet flowers, just peeking through.