David Royal
Post     Subject: identifying beans in Zone 6a (Nova Scotia)

Thank you very much!  Since we missed the blooms, I'm not sure, but I agree that the leaves and vines look similar.  I guess we'll see next year. :)
Skandi Rogers

It looks like a wisteria to me, which would fit with what you have said about the garden. I've never seen one with seed on though so I can't be sure.
David Royal

We just moved to Nova Scotia (from Florida) and have been pleasantly surprised by some of the plants that are already established -- blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, hardy kiwi and garlic.  The previous owner was primarily interested in ornamentals, though, so there are also tons of roses and other flowers.  On our deck is a tangled pole bean that I'd like to identify -- basically, we want to know if we can eat it.  The pods are pretty big, and thick, and grow in clusters of 3 to 6.  The mature leaves tend to have 11 leaflets.  The dried pods seem to unwind when they burst (ending up twisted) with little chocolate brown beans inside.  I believe it flowered before we arrived so I can't speak to the blossoms.  Any ideas?  And if any additional pictures would be helpful, please let me know.