William Bronson
Post     Subject: 1001 Uses for Hand Sanitizer

Very basic, but I use it to start fires.
Years ago I was a germaphobe and I carried my own spray bottle of alcohol.
Later, as a service plumber I almost bathed in it between jobs.
I still prefer alcohol as a sanitizer inside the fridge and on electronics.
Almond Thompson

I use it to get permanent marker off of non-porus surfaces
Hester Winterbourne

I react badly to insect bites, not at first but a day or two later they start to itch infernally, and I've found hand sanitiser gives me some relief.
Douglas Alpenstock

Is this stuff much different from "Sterno" which is a gelled alcohol used in restaurant buffets and such? It probably stinks when burned though.
Douglas Alpenstock

Most formulations have added components designed to reduce the harsh effects on skin -- because repeated alcohol treatements will rip your hide right off. The concentrations vary. But these are all water soluble compounds that can be rinsed off.
Pearl Sutton

And if it's a clean type, no added stuff, it cleans glasses and the windshield of your car well. Test in a small area first, some of that stuff has some weird things in it, rarely labeled.
Pearl Sutton

You have to work quickly, but if you use a paintbrush to make designs with it, then flame it off, you get slightly burned in patterns on wood.
Douglas Alpenstock

I was using ethanol hand sanitizer long, long before the CV situation. It's:
- A degreaser, for anything oily
- A personal cleanup aid when camping (stings, but effective!)
- A first cleanup pass cleanup of thrift shop and take-it-or-leave-it items
- A waterless cleaner in below freezing temperatures (like when you spill a little gas on your hands while fuelling the snowblower -- slather immediately with hand sanitizer and then scrub with snow, ... ow, ow, ow, and cursing, but your hands won't stink like gas when you go inside

And now , in our post-CV hangover, there's a ton of this stuff available for free. Nobody knows what to do with it.

I think it would make a dandy firestarter. Or weed killer? Dunno.

What would you do with it?

(No politics please.)