Author Message
John Polk
Post     Subject: Fuel tax refunds

Fuel taxes used to be called "Road taxes", as they are used to build/maintain our roads.
As such, the taxes were exempted on any fuels you purchased for non-highway uses.
Think tractor, chainsaw, weed whacker, log splitter, and, and, and ...

Many states are getting greedy, and using them for other purposes as well.
However, almost every state will give refunds for qualified non-highway fuel use.
The federal government also refunds money for non-highway use.

Check out what the combined Fed/State tax is where you live here:

Each state has their own set of exemptions. Here is a state-by-state listing of the exemptions:

I know that our highways need repairs, but I'll bet you can figure out a better way to spend your savings.