This position has been filled - to those who inquired, thanks for your interest, and I will let you know if it re-opens!
Subject: Farm worker sought, Big Island Hawaii
Farm Worker Position
Our farm is 20 acres off-grid on windward side of Big Island, Hawaii. We have a mixture of organic garden, permaculture plantings, edible forest garden, and several hugelkulturs.
We are looking for a single person or a couple to live on our farm in a small camp and help us take care of the property. We need a strong, energetic person (or people) with skills and experience in permaculture and generally farming and landscape care. Our goal is to grow food and animals to sustain ourselves with as few purchases from outside of the immediate community as possible.
- 30 hours per week mowing, weeding, weedwhacking, making compost, planting, mulching, caring for chickens, spraying compost tea, harvesting herbs for market, etc. Majority of work area is within 5 fenced acres.
- Must have own car. We are located about 20 miles north of Hilo, at 1000’ elevation.
- Must be willing to commit to 6 months.
- Starting pay $250/week; depending upon skills, hours, accommodations, and other variables.
- Camp is a covered platform with open sides and a mosquito net over comfortable bed. It overlooks a stream and waterfall. Camp has basic furnishings and kitchen items, sink with potable cold water (from excellent catchment), electricity and internet (limited), propane burner, electric fridge. W/d, hot shower, and flush toilet are a short walk away and are shared. Utilities are included. A cabin may also become available.
- Food from the farm including veggies, fruits (bananas and papayas year-round and other tropical fruits in season), taro, eggs, much more.
- Can grow food for sale in a portion of garden. A small farmers’ market is nearby.
- Property also includes another beautiful waterfall swimming hole in a bamboo grove.
If interested, send us a note (firstname.lastname@example.org) with good detail describing yourself/ves. We will send you a questionnaire, further details, and photos. Sorry, no dogs.