Rob Lineberger
Post     Subject: Caucasian spinach vine as house plant?

Pearl Sutton wrote:I have never tasted it, is it good? I grew Malabar spinach once, and I don't know if it was the climate I was growing it in (desert) or the plant itself, but it had a sticky funky texture, and I wasn't inclined to eat it. So the Caucasian Spinach I'd love data on the taste before I try it.
:D

I love Red Malabar Spinach for its gorgeous coloration, vigor, and bright red-violet berries.  I like it ok because it is edible.  I dislike it because it is slimy and every single dish I put it in becomes "Malabar spinach and friends" because its unpalatable taste is so overpowering.
Pearl Sutton

I have never tasted it, is it good? I grew Malabar spinach once, and I don't know if it was the climate I was growing it in (desert) or the plant itself, but it had a sticky funky texture, and I wasn't inclined to eat it. So the Caucasian Spinach I'd love data on the taste before I try it.
:D
Errol Anderson

Thank you burra, I thought it might be to warm here but I'm going to try it since I'm trying to get more perennial edible plants for the Permaculture garden
Errol Anderson

Thanks Greg,
Burra Maluca

I'm in zone 9 and it copes here so long as it has shade.
Greg Martin

Errol Anderson wrote:I am in zone 7, Tennessee, I was wondering if Caucasian spinach would grow on my area? I read that it is up to zone 6, thanks

It does fine up here in zone 5 Maine, so zone 7 should be a piece of cake Errol.

I've never tried it as a house plant though I'm very interested in edible house plants, so I'm hoping to find out if this one is an option.  I overwinter some plants in my unheated sunroom so having edible house plants that can handle dips below freezing is a criteria for me.  
Errol Anderson

I am in zone 7, Tennessee, I was wondering if Caucasian spinach would grow on my area? I read that it is up to zone 6, thanks
Steven Kovacs

I have some seeds of Hablitzia tamnoides and thought it might be worth trying to grow it as a house plant, either in a hanging pot with the vines hanging down, or in a pot on the floor with a trellis for it to climb.  I love the idea of an edible, shade loving house plant.  Has anyone tried this?  Is the plant toxic to cats at all?

Thanks!