Glenn Herbert
Post     Subject: Can anyone offer more detail on building a masonry heater?

Also note that Peter's short article links to a comprehensive MHA report with lots of process photos.
2015 MHA Annual Meeting - Batch fired Rocket Bell
James Huskins

Thanks, Glen. Your photo process links are exactly the sort of help I was looking for.

James
John Paulding

Other than a web search, try a book search on Barnes & Noble etc. Or in a Library Catalog. Either will give better results for strictly books than Amazon will with their multitude of products.

Some of the old designs tended to use lots of ceramic but I would think some good hard rock, if you have it in your area, would be good too.
Glenn Herbert

Here is a report from the (US) Masonry Heater Association with process photos: Kuznetsov stove
A pretty complex project with not much discussion/direction in the report.

A workshop by Igor Kuznetsov and Alex Chernov with process photos and drawings.
Complete layer-by-layer drawings, but a complex design with lots of precise brick cutting needed. You probably need to be experienced in masonry to follow it without handholding.

Bell with dead-end benches MHA workshop by Peter van den Berg with photos and drawings.
A simple design with the few critical details explained, and firebox design and construction covered thoroughly elsewhere in the same website.

James Huskins

I want to build a Kuznetsov stove similar to one shown in a YouTube video. I have little masonry experience, and I have questions about several details including how to do the grate and other firebox details. I've found drawings on his site, but any instruction is lost on me since I do not understand Russian. Can anyone who has built such a heater offer any help?

Thanks,

James