Tristan Vitali
Post     Subject: Vote: What's Your All-Time Favorite Veggie to Grow and Eat?

Tomatoes, one of the easiest veggies to grow regardless of the season's conditions here in New England (be it overly wet, overly dry, overly cool, overly warm), are high nutrient foods that can form the bases of so many meals, raw or cooked, dehydrated or fermented.

The multitudes of varieties can differ more significantly than nearly any other crop outside brassica oleracea, from meaty sauce varieties to small sweet salad cherries you can't help but eat right off the vine, to the gigantic sandwich fillers with flavor so sublime all you need is a little table salt and maybe a daub of mayonnaise in a bowl (one of my favorite midnight snacks, btw!)

Often we bring in mountains worth of green tomatoes at the end of the season, resulting in 30% loss to fruit flies and the beginnings of rot - these all go to help fatten the chickens, ducks and turkeys for winter (perfect timing)

No matter where you are in the world, there's a tomato variety for you (and likely many!). And one to fit your personal taste? There's sure to be a variety out there that turns even the most ardent tomato hater into a believer with one bite.

Honestly, in my opinion, there's no better vegetable and never will be one better. And all the "nightshade naysayers" out there can eat my honeydrop cherry tomatoes  lol
gir bot

Last vote in apple poll was on December 4, 2023
Ruth Duerr

Onions or maybe just alliums of all sorts.  I can’t think of many savory dishes that don’t have onions (or leeks, or shallots, etc.) in them.  Garlic would be next, then tomatoes, corn and beans (of any color - green, purple, yellow, red, etc.).  But then I had a pretty traditional gardening family…
Annette Jones

Kohlrabi isn't on the list here.

I love all brassicas but this one was special when my kids were growing up. They called it the alien veggie.

I would finely grate it in summer salads, steam, bake or mash in cooler months as it's yummy with salt, pepper and butter, also added to potato mash.

Hope people keep adding to this, it has been fun reading through the lists.

I've tried to attach a picture and it won't upload using the attachment option, but you can google to see why the kids called it an alien vegetable :-)
Luke Bryan

What about Kohlrabi? I just tried one this year (for the first time I think?) It is like an apple of a vegetable it's great.
Thomas Finnley

Well not exactly sure how any of this apple stuff works at one point I thought I had two but now I only have one so I guess I may have lost one somewhere along the way which doesn't give me enough to vote for my favorites on your post. So I figured I'd just respond by letting you know that my favorite things to grow include okra number one bell peppers squash tomatoes green chili jalapenos watermelon cantaloupe any fruit tree I can get growing Sweet Basil parsley and oregano as those last three are my favorite seasonings for my meals.
But there are so many more on your list that I enjoy having in a garden and on my table that there just isn't enough room to list it without creating a whole new post
Jeff Hodgins

Chayotes. In our climate the chayote provides food year round. Mature Fruits in fall and winter fresh stems starting in February tender fruit starting in June. It has a tuber very similar to potato in Taste tubers are deep dug in Nov or Dec or before the new years growth has emerged. The best thing about chayotes I. My mind is that they can live and produce staple foods in dense foodforest shade.  Taste wise though I have to decide on  Peas fresh ones man I could stay in the pea field all day. I ate most of them fresh but cooked is so much better.