• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Mike Jay
  • Jocelyn Campbell
stewards:
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Burra Maluca
  • Joseph Lofthouse
garden masters:
  • Dave Burton
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Mike Barkley
  • Shawn Klassen-Koop
  • Pearl Sutton

Mini-rocket stove on wheels (hot water and electricity)  RSS feed

 
Posts: 5
1
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I just built my first mini-rocket stove as a mock-up for a future build. I added a cooking stove section and used TEC modules to make electricity.(also a first) I added a copper coil to heat water. Of course that worked. I’m impressed with rocket stoves and their virsatility. I’ll add a couple of pics.
65616599-DA19-4989-8F60-87FDFC40CF2C.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 65616599-DA19-4989-8F60-87FDFC40CF2C.jpeg]
65EFC404-20BC-4362-BBFF-CB799247FACB.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 65EFC404-20BC-4362-BBFF-CB799247FACB.jpeg]
4D00F7D9-1CDD-4065-9CA0-EF9FC30738ED.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 4D00F7D9-1CDD-4065-9CA0-EF9FC30738ED.jpeg]
B8CB66C1-3741-44A6-92C8-0536A4BE5C4A.jpeg
[Thumbnail for B8CB66C1-3741-44A6-92C8-0536A4BE5C4A.jpeg]
 
gardener
Posts: 2109
Location: latitude 47 N.W. montana zone 6A
250
cat pig rocket stoves
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Toby; Welcome to Permies!
Very cool , nice looking stove you have built !
In your experiments be very cautious around water heating.  We call it boom squish when water flashes to steam and explodes... not something I wish to experience in person.

Keep building and experimenting and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
 
Posts: 51
Location: Richwood, West Virginia
4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Toby Craighorn wrote: used TEC modules to make electricity



Will you give a brief description of how that works? My googling only turned up heating and refrigeration applications.
 
pollinator
Posts: 248
Location: Penticton, Canada
40
building rocket stoves woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Toby that stove looks great! ... a few questions if you don't mind.
There is only one picture of what looks to be your core. Is it made from soft clay brick?
I'm assuming that the heat from the top of the burn tunnel is what is heating up the oven? Again curious about what material you used to do this.
The steel tank seems small in diameter....are you using ceramic fiber blanket for the heat riser to keep the space between the tank and the riser large enough to allow proper air flow?
Thanks and keep up the good work.
 
Posts: 6
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Toby, I imagine a whole lot of work went into that "mini" rocket stove.  Looks great!  But I must correct you.  That is not a "mini" rocket stove.  THIS is a mini rocket stove!  I built the mold out of plywood, poured concrete in the bottom section (with hacksawed BBQ grill embedded in intake to set sticks and short branches on), then poured the top part.  It is heavy, probably about fifty or sixty pounds, but still transportable.  I've used it quite a few times.  It works great.  It is amazing how efficiently it burns the wood, and how much heat it produces.  But now I'm looking at your rocket stove again and thinking I would love to have one not just on wheels like yours, but also better built from the ground up.  My design is simple and cheap to make.  I guess it has that going for it...  Nice job!
MiniRocketStove.jpg
[Thumbnail for MiniRocketStove.jpg]
 
Toby Craighorn
Posts: 5
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

thomas rubino wrote:Hi Toby; Welcome to Permies!
Very cool , nice looking stove you have built !
In your experiments be very cautious around water heating.  We call it boom squish when water flashes to steam and explodes... not something I wish to experience in person.

Keep building and experimenting and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.



Thanks for the encouragement and warning. It’s an open system with circulating water. Used a small DC pump so it heated slowly. Haven’t heard the term boom squish. I’ll look it up.
 
Toby Craighorn
Posts: 5
1
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gerry Parent wrote:Toby that stove looks great! ... a few questions if you don't mind.
There is only one picture of what looks to be your core. Is it made from soft clay brick?
I'm assuming that the heat from the top of the burn tunnel is what is heating up the oven? Again curious about what material you used to do this.
The steel tank seems small in diameter....are you using ceramic fiber blanket for the heat riser to keep the space between the tank and the riser large enough to allow proper air flow?
Thanks and keep up the good work.



I only used a few bricks in the base. I used fiber board in the heat riser but coated it inside and out in a layer of cob. Kept at least 4” all throughout. Some was round, some square. It’s a cut propane bottle in top. Has about 1 1/2-2” of space all around the outside of the riser.  Heat for the oven comes from the burn chamber but also I put a peice of metal in the common wall of the oven and part below the tank.
0CEE2CD0-2168-44B5-BE9B-1A9E93E60813.jpeg
[Thumbnail for 0CEE2CD0-2168-44B5-BE9B-1A9E93E60813.jpeg]
FBB8ABBA-7320-4099-AFE6-0C134DB68079.jpeg
[Thumbnail for FBB8ABBA-7320-4099-AFE6-0C134DB68079.jpeg]
 
Toby Craighorn
Posts: 5
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Lindon Rose wrote:Toby, I imagine a whole lot of work went into that "mini" rocket stove.  Looks great!  But I must correct you.  That is not a "mini" rocket stove.  THIS is a mini rocket stove!  I built the mold out of plywood, poured concrete in the bottom section (with hacksawed BBQ grill embedded in intake to set sticks and short branches on), then poured the top part.  It is heavy, probably about fifty or sixty pounds, but still transportable.  I've used it quite a few times.  It works great.  It is amazing how efficiently it burns the wood, and how much heat it produces.  But now I'm looking at your rocket stove again and thinking I would love to have one not just on wheels like yours, but also better built from the ground up.  My design is simple and cheap to make.  I guess it has that going for it...  Nice job!



That’s awesome! Definitely more portable.
 
Toby Craighorn
Posts: 5
1
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Burl Smith wrote:

Toby Craighorn wrote: used TEC modules to make electricity



Will you give a brief description of how that works? My googling only turned up heating and refrigeration applications.



Burl, Awesome question! I looked and looked for hours and couldn’t find any rocket stoves and TECs either. But, it only takes a heat differential. I’ll take some more pictures. I put 6 TECs in series on a metal plate on top of the tank. Then put cold water in a pan on top of the TECs to keep the cold side cool. I think the TECs are only rated for about 250 Deg F. I couldn’t leave them there too long as it exceeded that temp after a while. I’ll probably make it so I can put the TECs on the side of the tank and not the top next. Air/fan cooled but preferably water cooled via 4” square tube is my next idea. Just not much out there except 1 commercial company using the TECs with a rocket/wood stove to charge batteries. Seems like an awesome back-up to solar. I got almost 1Volt per TEC. Could easily put 100 of them on a stove. Just gotta bleed off the heat from the outer side.
 
Gerry Parent
pollinator
Posts: 248
Location: Penticton, Canada
40
building rocket stoves woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Toby Craighorn wrote:

Gerry Parent wrote:Toby that stove looks great! ... a few questions if you don't mind.
There is only one picture of what looks to be your core. Is it made from soft clay brick?
I'm assuming that the heat from the top of the burn tunnel is what is heating up the oven? Again curious about what material you used to do this.
The steel tank seems small in diameter....are you using ceramic fiber blanket for the heat riser to keep the space between the tank and the riser large enough to allow proper air flow?
Thanks and keep up the good work.



I only used a few bricks in the base. I used fiber board in the heat riser but coated it inside and out in a layer of cob. Kept at least 4” all throughout. Some was round, some square. It’s a cut propane bottle in top. Has about 1 1/2-2” of space all around the outside of the riser.  Heat for the oven comes from the burn chamber but also I put a peice of metal in the common wall of the oven and part below the tank.



Thank you for the clarification Toby. Please keep us posted as to how well it operates and anything that you might change after you use it for a bit.
 
Hold that thought. Tiny ad:
Soil Testing: Genius or Snapshot of the ever-changing?
https://permies.com/t/113090/Soil-Testing-Genius-Snapshot-changing
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!