Laura Emil wrote:The BEST, FRESHEST blueberry pie ever
Lymes has improved my diet: to keep ahead of the disease, I needed to eliminate sugar & yeast. That's currently working well enough for me, with the benefit of slow and steady weight loss. THANK GOODNESS I can enjoy blueberries in moderation, and don't pay too high a price for an occasional 'cheat' with sugar. The recipe I found (Farmer's almanac, I think) called for MUCH more sugar - I've cut it way back because blueberries are sweet enough (and after cutting so far back on sugar, my tastes HAVE actually changed anyway... even without Lymes, that's worth a try for improved health!)
1 9-inch single crust 3 - 4 cups FRESH* blueberries 1/4 cup sugar (to taste) 1/8 cup cornstarch 1 cup water 1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
• Bake pie crust.
• Pour 1/3 cup sugar, 1/8 c cornstarch, and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Mix until smooth.
• Add 1cup blueberries and cook over medium heat, about 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture is thick and semitransparent.
• Stir in 1T lemon juice, then 2T butter.
• Turn off the stove. Let the mix in the saucepan cool off or the fresh berries will cook & get syrupy like store pies.
• AFTER cooling, stir in the remaining fresh blueberries.
• Taste, and add more sugar to taste, if necessary.
• Pour into baked pie shell and chill until firm.
• Serve with sweetened, vanilla-flavored whipped cream. (I skip this part... it's good enough to stand on it's own!)
Mary Luzy wrote:Thanks for sharing it.