• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Rabbits eating mushroom waste

 
Abe Connally
Posts: 1502
Location: Chihuahua Desert
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone know if rabbits can eat spent mushroom substrate? We grow some oyster mushrooms here, and we have a lot of spent substrate, which is basically wheat straw that has been pre-digested by the oyster mushrooms. The pigs eat it just fine, but I wonder if rabbits can? It could be a big step towards integrating the 2 systems.
 
Saybian Morgan
gardener
Posts: 582
Location: Lower Mainland British Columbia Canada Zone 8a/ Manchester Jamaica
8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I couldn't find anything on the internet, the closest was feeding rice straw to ruminants. I can conceive of mushroom waste as silage without the bacteria, but I don't see it as a whole enough food. There is good hay and bad hay, I don't see it as great silage but a reasonable binding and bulking agent.
If I had some I would definitely like to try it, rabbits are mini ruminants there just not as grand on eating gruel forage perpetually without getting ill.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic