• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Mike Haasl
  • Pearl Sutton
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Burra Maluca
  • Joseph Lofthouse
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • Leigh Tate
  • Carla Burke
gardeners:
  • Greg Martin
  • Jay Angler
  • John F Dean

If a vegan friend visited you today, what could you make for them?

 
Posts: 48
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand
16
duck forest garden chicken building solar homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Marmite & cheese on toast or a bland caesar salad
 
gardener
Posts: 950
Location: Galicia, Spain zone 9a
244
2
dog duck chicken cooking food preservation fiber arts pig bike bee solar ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Jason Manning wrote:Marmite & cheese on toast or a bland caesar salad



I was just thinking how lovely both of these are, when I realised that cheese is a no no and ceasar dressing has anchovies. So to adapt, marmite on toast with a bowl of lettuce. Wow, really hard when one is not vegan or even vegetarian oneself.  I have a best friend of 55 years who has a severe nut and fish alergy. Whenever I cook for her I have to run the menu past my husband as it is so easy to make mistakes with ingredients. Its how I found out about ceasar dressing!
 
Jason Manning
Posts: 48
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand
16
duck forest garden chicken building solar homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mandy Launchbury-Rainey wrote:

Jason Manning wrote:Marmite & cheese on toast or a bland caesar salad



I was just thinking how lovely both of these are, when I realised that cheese is a no no and ceasar dressing has anchovies. So to adapt, marmite on toast with a bowl of lettuce. Wow, really hard when one is not vegan or even vegetarian oneself.  I have a best friend of 55 years who has a severe nut and fish alergy. Whenever I cook for her I have to run the menu past my husband as it is so easy to make mistakes with ingredients. Its how I found out about ceasar dressing!



Vegan cheese?

Add Marmite to the caesar dressing instead of the anchovies?
 
pollinator
Posts: 975
Location: Southern Oregon
274
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Given that caesar dressing typically includes egg, cheese and anchovies, it wouldn't be my first choice for a vegan salad dressing.

I'm having to adapt some meals for my now vegan kid. I have to say it's a pain. Most of the time, I do the traditional meat, starch, vegetable and have at least one that she can eat. And often, I take her portions out first and then finish everyone else's with butter, cheese etc.  There is very little I eat that doesn't contain at least butter.
 
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've got three boxes of plums and no time to process them so I've just been eating them with everything. After digging dirt in the rain all day yesterday, my dinner was buckwheat crepes with sliced plums wrapped inside. They were divine - and not just cause I was starving :D

Crepes were just buckwheat flour, water, baking soda, and vinegar. Plums were an unknown japanese variety from some urban foraging. Black and plummy.
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Stacy Witscher wrote:Given that caesar dressing typically includes egg, cheese and anchovies, it wouldn't be my first choice for a vegan salad dressing.



Blended cashews, nutritional yeast, and citric acid powder are the classic vegan parmesan substitute. Marmite, as was mentioned, and miso can make pretty good anchovy stand-ins. Egg is just an emulsifier, and there are all kinds of things you can substitute for that.

If you're determined to have a caesar dressing, it can be done :)
 
Stacy Witscher
pollinator
Posts: 975
Location: Southern Oregon
274
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jan White - I have been playing around with blended cashews for her. My main issue is that our diets conflict. I add eggs and dairy to almost everything, because I'm diabetic and it helps keep my blood sugar in check. And while there are things like cashews and avocado that are good for adding fat, they don't grow here. So that doesn't align with my locavore ideas.
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Stacy Witscher wrote:Jan White - I have been playing around with blended cashews for her. My main issue is that our diets conflict. I add eggs and dairy to almost everything, because I'm diabetic and it helps keep my blood sugar in check. And while there are things like cashews and avocado that are good for adding fat, they don't grow here. So that doesn't align with my locavore ideas.



Yeah, I don't bother with vegan substitutes much. there are so many delicious, naturally vegan foods - like buckwheat crepes and plums!

Not sure where you are, but there must be some local fats.  Walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower, poppy, flax, and evening primrose seeds are the fats I grow or forage.  I have to admit I still buy tahini and avocados, though :o
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Today my lunch was steamed bok choy and corn on boiled chickpeas with a miso, walnut, rice wine vinegar sauce.
 
Posts: 664
Location: Australia, New South Wales. Köppen: Cfa (Humid Subtropical), USDA: 10/11
2
transportation hugelkultur cat forest garden fish trees urban chicken cooking woodworking homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Burra Maluca wrote:What could you come up with?



Even though I don't have any vegan relatives or friends, there's a few dishes that could be made from what I keep in the pantry: as a back up to fresh herbs and vegetables, there's always an assortment of dried herbs/spices, along with rice paper sheets, tortillas, poppadoms, pasta, rice noodles, tinned tomatoes/corn/beetroot/fruit, packets of jelly/junket powder, several types of lentils, dried and canned beans, dried chick peas, couscous, oatmeal, etc. So:

1. Indian dhal (curry) made from the pulses
2. Vietnamese rice paper rolls, along with dipping sauces (though, without the mandatory fish sauce it's blasphemy!)
3. Faux Mexican tortillas
4. Faux Italian dishes - salsa, meatless bolognese sauce, etc
5. Ukrainian/Russian borscht
6. North African flavoured dishes (couscous, chakhchoura, hummus, etc)
7. Herb dips
8. Faux Western meatloaf - oatmeal
9. Desserts: jelly, junket, tinned fruit, oatmeal biscuits/cakes (being careful of enzymes used such as rennet, etc)

There's probably a lot more that can be made, but that's just after 10 minutes of rumination (pun intended)!
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Used the last of my fresh tomatoes from the garden to make a lentil veg soup.  For lunch today having a bowl of soup and some steamed broccoli and baked squash.
 
Mandy Launchbury-Rainey
gardener
Posts: 950
Location: Galicia, Spain zone 9a
244
2
dog duck chicken cooking food preservation fiber arts pig bike bee solar ungarbage
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have made this whole meal for my vegetarian friend.  It was soooooo good!

And just for more deets on that gravy...


Enjoy!
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Something I've been eating for lunch quite often these days is cheeze and onion sandwiches.

I make a thick pancake with chickpea flour, shiitake mushroom powder, baking soda, and homemade pear vinegar. I make this pancake green with mostly chives and whatever leafy greens I have around. Right now it's pea greens and lamb's lettuce. I use one part greens and chives to two parts chickpea flour (by weight). Shiitake to taste, soda and vinegar as needed for quantity. This serves as bread and onion.

The cheeze filling for the sandwich is coconut milk with nutritional yeast, miso, more pear vinegar, thickened with agar, cultured with sauerkraut or kimchi juice, and left to funkify at room temp for a few days.

And you can never go wrong with a side of steamed broccoli.

 
pollinator
Posts: 1720
Location: RRV of da Nort
322
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Lots of tomatoes and cucumbers right now.....bring on the seitan-chickpea baekun for BLTs!  The gluten-chickpea flour dough ball (containing seasonings) is rolled out quite thin on a cutting board.  Strips are cut and carefully rolled up, then unrolled in tamari-based marinade.  Strips are ready for frying after a few minutes in the marinade, turning them over a few times to get all sides properly wetted.  Fry in oil of your choice to your own texture satisfaction.
BaekunPrep.jpeg
Baekun Prep
Baekun Prep
SeitanBaekun.jpeg
Seitan Baekun
Seitan Baekun
 
Posts: 82
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So I would cook up a meal with things I have in my cooked meals, just with more of them than I have in any cooked meal I have for myself. I would make it with whole grain noodles and cut up potato, with leafy greens, generally cabbage, other vegetables cut up like bell pepper, carrot, broccoli, squash, and other possibilities, with salsa and black beans or hummus, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and other seasonings, all cooked together.
 
Posts: 84
Location: pietermaritzburg, South Africa
23
forest garden chicken bee
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Enrique Garcia wrote:I'm often perplexed by the notion that it is hard to cook for a vegan as eat everything carnivores eat with the exception of about 10-15 items .. so we eat what you eat !! Easy peasy lemon squeezy !! Also, I never expect anyone I visit to provide a meal as I know it is hard for them to imagine .. so we always being our own or eat before we show up ... as we are 3% of the population so no worries mate !



I think you meant to say omnivour. carnivours like myself eat only meat and animal products the only plant based foods in my kitchen are pepper and coffee.
 
Brian Karlsen
Posts: 84
Location: pietermaritzburg, South Africa
23
forest garden chicken bee
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
oh acrtualy I do have some rice in the freezer cooked specially for my pep badge but now waiting for a non carnivore visitor to feed it to it may go soon to the fish or birds if no one visits soon not much socialising these days with corona
 
Fred Frank V Bur
Posts: 82
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Brian Karlsen wrote:

Enrique Garcia wrote:I'm often perplexed by the notion that it is hard to cook for a vegan as eat everything carnivores eat with the exception of about 10-15 items .. so we eat what you eat !! Easy peasy lemon squeezy !! Also, I never expect anyone I visit to provide a meal as I know it is hard for them to imagine .. so we always being our own or eat before we show up ... as we are 3% of the population so no worries mate !



I think you meant to say omnivour. carnivours like myself eat only meat and animal products the only plant based foods in my kitchen are pepper and coffee.



I was curious. Is it in your native country where they spell those words omnivour and carnivour, rather than those words being spelled the way I know of, omnivore and carnivore?
 
Brian Karlsen
Posts: 84
Location: pietermaritzburg, South Africa
23
forest garden chicken bee
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Fred Frank V Bur wrote:

Brian Karlsen wrote:

Enrique Garcia wrote:I'm often perplexed by the notion that it is hard to cook for a vegan as eat everything carnivores eat with the exception of about 10-15 items .. so we eat what you eat !! Easy peasy lemon squeezy !! Also, I never expect anyone I visit to provide a meal as I know it is hard for them to imagine .. so we always being our own or eat before we show up ... as we are 3% of the population so no worries mate !



I think you meant to say omnivour. carnivours like myself eat only meat and animal products the only plant based foods in my kitchen are pepper and coffee.



I was curious. Is it in your native country where they spell those words omnivour and carnivour, rather than those words being spelled the way I know of, omnivore and carnivore?



no just my terrible spelling while i have an iq of over 140 and can derive physics formulas from first principals faster than most people can wright them down ive always had an issue with spelling
 
Fred Frank V Bur
Posts: 82
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Brian Karlsen wrote:

Fred Frank V Bur wrote:

Brian Karlsen wrote:

Enrique Garcia wrote:I'm often perplexed by the notion that it is hard to cook for a vegan as eat everything carnivores eat with the exception of about 10-15 items .. so we eat what you eat !! Easy peasy lemon squeezy !! Also, I never expect anyone I visit to provide a meal as I know it is hard for them to imagine .. so we always being our own or eat before we show up ... as we are 3% of the population so no worries mate !



I think you meant to say omnivour. carnivours like myself eat only meat and animal products the only plant based foods in my kitchen are pepper and coffee.



I was curious. Is it in your native country where they spell those words omnivour and carnivour, rather than those words being spelled the way I know of, omnivore and carnivore?



no just my terrible spelling while i have an iq of over 140 and can derive physics formulas from first principals faster than most people can wright them down ive always had an issue with spelling



It seems to me you must be on a keto diet. What I have seen of information on ketosis being used has me aware of problems to health probable from that. I thought I should communicate my concern about that.
 
pollinator
Posts: 291
Location: New Hampshire
94
hugelkultur forest garden chicken food preservation bee
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I love this cook's approach to budget cooking.  

In this video she does vegan food for a week on a limited budget and is really creative about it.  I like her budget cooking videos in general because she is creative while cooking with a limited ingredient list, wastes nothing, and in a small kitchen without a ton of expensive cooking tools.  Her ingredient budget is $25.00 not including spices, sauces, and oils that she already has in her kitchen.  She also took on gluten free in this challenge. It is giving some inspiration on new ways to cook the veggies I grow in my garden.  

She has other videos that are budget challenges but they are not vegan that are also worth watching for her creative use of low cost ingredients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmeJ2T_txk

 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Today lunch will be steamed broccoli, cooked beets with sour cream and dill, and brown rice with cheese sauce.

The sour cream is coconut cream, cultured for 24 hours so it's nice and tangy. The cheese sauce is cooked squash, blended with tahini, miso, nutritional yeast, vinegar, and some spices.

Dinner will be lentil vegetable soup and sandwich. The sandwich will be made from chickpea flour bread (actually just a thick pancake) with filling of olive tapenade and romaine lettuce.
 
pollinator
Posts: 247
Location: Dry mountains Eastern WA
70
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
2 parts Jose Cuervo
1 part Gran Mariner
Lime
Ice
Mixer
Salt


About as vegan as you can get at my house
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Lunch today was grain salad made with leftover brown rice and olive tapenade, avocado, and lettuce. Also had paprika beans. These are navy beans cooked with lots of onion (the only thing I eat onion in!) and smoked paprika.
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Salad of mixed greens (my cold frame is picked bare, so we'll have to settle for store bought) with a tahini, orange, ginger, and miso dressing. Use an orange as a stress ball for a few minutes, then ream it out with a fork, getting pulp and juice. Add a spoonful of miso, a bigger spoonful of tahini, and lots of minced ginger. Serve with a baked potato, cooked in a woodstove so it's smokey tasting. Top with lots of parsley and some chopped up olives.
 
Jan White
pollinator
Posts: 618
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
158
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sprouted barley sourdough pancakes topped with lemon balm, blueberries, and coconut cream yoghurt.

I just made those pancakes the other day and now I'm hooked. Sprout your barley, then blend it with enough water to make a pancakey batter. Then let that ferment for a day or so. I added some homemade pineapple vinegar and baking soda to make sure the batter would rise, but I'll try without when I make them again later today.

If I've got a picky friend who turns up their nose at pancakes for lunch, they can have one of my springtime go tos. Steamed potatoes topped with some of that coconut cream yoghurt they wouldn't put on pancakes and a huge heap of herbs and greens from the garden - chives, garlic chives, oregano, parsley, lamb's lettuce, orach, sorrel, mustard greens.
 
Posts: 107
19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Right now? It's only just starting to be planting season right now, so no fresh produce yet. My herbs are already flourishing, however, but I don't think a few mint leaves, thyme and chives would be very satisfying. Maybe I could grab a few cans of vegetables off the shelf and call it done?
gift
 
Rocket Mass Heater Plans: Annex 6" L-shaped Bench by Ernie and Erica
will be released to subscribers in: soon!
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic