• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
  • Mike Haasl
  • James Freyr
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Kate Downham
  • Jay Angler
  • thomas rubino

Intermittent fasting with broth and butter?

 
master steward & author
Posts: 18036
Location: Left Coast Canada
4545
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have been doing 16/8 intermittent fasting for a few months now and it's agreed with my body so much that I finally have energy to get things done.  But with the changes in the season comes changes in routine.  Animals live by the sun and my chores focus around sunrise and set.  My schedule is moving the meals further and further apart so I'm not getting the benefit of the long gap between eating.  It will be at least two months (thank you daylight savings) before I can get back on track.

I want to adjust so I'm fasting longer, - maybe 20 hours - but using broth and butter as a source of energy towards the end of the fasting time.   (butter is for my digestion as I can't seem to tolerate broth alone)

Would this still be intermittent fasting or would the broth be breaking the fast?
 
master pollinator
Posts: 201
61
hugelkultur dog fungi trees books cooking food preservation bee medical herbs rocket stoves wood heat
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Any calories consumed is breaking the fast.

AND

Experiment and see how YOU do with time and fat as calories until daylight makes your shedule easier.

PS - Have you tried MCT oil?
 
Posts: 232
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

r ranson wrote:I have been doing 16/8 intermittent fasting for a few months now and it's agreed with my body so much that I finally have energy to get things done.  But with the changes in the season comes changes in routine.  Animals live by the sun and my chores focus around sunrise and set.  My schedule is moving the meals further and further apart so I'm not getting the benefit of the long gap between eating.  It will be at least two months (thank you daylight savings) before I can get back on track.

I want to adjust so I'm fasting longer, - maybe 20 hours - but using broth and butter as a source of energy towards the end of the fasting time.   (butter is for my digestion as I can't seem to tolerate broth alone)

Would this still be intermittent fasting or would the broth be breaking the fast?


Any calories that break the fast is not intermittent fasting. That being said, if you are doing keto with intermittent fasting, perhaps consider a fat fast. No it's not abstaining from fats but instead eating only fats for a set period of time. Supposedly it accelerates the body going into keto. So you could have bulletproof coffee for breakfast, a lunch and diner of bone broth with butter etc. In the meanwhile, have you considered just cutting an hour or two off of your IF? OR eat an early supper and a late break fast having your eight hour window being mid day and ending with 'fat bombs' of some sort to give you extra energy.
 
Posts: 188
Location: London, UK
38
personal care medical herbs ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Instead of taking butter for digestive purposes, wouldn't having a peppermint tea beforehand be better?  Or a peppermint oil capsule?
 
Posts: 92
Location: USDA zone 6a/5b
7
forest garden food preservation bee
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes calories in jump starts your insulin release breaking your fast, although I believe that pure fat has no effect on insulin(i read this the book 'Protein Power')
 
r ranson
master steward & author
Posts: 18036
Location: Left Coast Canada
4545
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Amy Francis wrote:Instead of taking butter for digestive purposes, wouldn't having a peppermint tea beforehand be better?  Or a peppermint oil capsule?



Not for me.
Peppermint is a huge trigger for digestive troubles in my body.  Stomach cramps for days that can send me to hospital.  

Peppermint is also excellent at increasing stomach acid - which is absolutely what I want to avoid.
 
r ranson
master steward & author
Posts: 18036
Location: Left Coast Canada
4545
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One of the things Dr Fung mentions in his book The Obesity Code is the use of bone broth for longer intermittent fasts.  This is why I was wondering what effect it would have.

If I eat or drink anything during my fast then I can feel my body wake up and I feel hunger.  the only exception being tea, coffee, and broth with butter.   Anything else, even some vitamin pills, will tell my body the fast is broken.
 
Ben Gorski
Posts: 92
Location: USDA zone 6a/5b
7
forest garden food preservation bee
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maybe on your 'heavy' work days eat the butter/broth and on lighter days omit this and just fast as you would.
 
steward
Posts: 3199
Location: Moved from south central WI to Portland, OR
652
hugelkultur urban chicken food preservation bike bee
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

r ranson wrote:If I eat or drink anything during my fast then I can feel my body wake up and I feel hunger.  the only exception being tea, coffee, and broth with butter.   Anything else, even some vitamin pills, will tell my body the fast is broken.



There - you've answered your own question.  I think if you move from two normal meals to one normal meal and some broth with butter, you will be making progress.

Avoiding carbs means you are avoiding insulin and maintaining a fat burning state.  You've just moved from burning your fat to burning the fat in the butter and broth.  The broth also has protein, so this is not 100% fat burning, but maybe that's the bit your body is craving.

I say try it.  I can't see any harm coming from it.
 
pollinator
Posts: 265
Location: East tn
65
hugelkultur foraging homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've used broth as you've described and I don't feel like it sets me back.

I've done a small spoonful of bacon grease for a rib sticker too.
 
My pie came with a little toothpic holding up this tiny ad:
2020 work trades for PDC, PTJ and/or SKIP
https://permies.com/t/work-trades-2020
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!