• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
stewards:
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
  • Dave Burton
master gardeners:
  • John F Dean
  • jordan barton
  • Carla Burke
  • Leigh Tate
gardeners:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
  • Jay Angler

Green fleshed C. moschata seeds back on sale

 
gardener
Posts: 2339
Location: Maine, zone 5
1036
2
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Experimental Farm Network offered seeds of the green fleshed C. moschata variety Guatemalan green fleshed ayote squash for the first time this year and they sold out in one day (I was sad!) but then just recently they started offering more (I was happy!), limit one packet per person.  They are long season so the first thing I'm doing this year is growing them out mixed with Joseph's landrace moschatas to get some northern adapted green fleshed squash....then after that the true fun will start!  Just wanted to mention this here in case anyone else happened to be looking for green fleshed squash for a breeding project.  I'm planning to breed them to the C. moschata summer squash 'Avocado' to hopefully get a nice green hue for mock guacamole apps.  

Probably these seeds won't last long.
 
pollinator
Posts: 512
193
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for posting! I had added these to a previous order, but by the time I got through picking out what else I wanted, they were sold out!

I don't know yet if I'll grow these this year, but it's definitely something unique for my collection!
 
pollinator
Posts: 647
Location: Montana
227
forest garden trees
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Greg Martin wrote:The Experimental Farm Network offered seeds of the green fleshed C. moschata variety Guatemalan green fleshed ayote squash for the first time this year and they sold out in one day (I was sad!) but then just recently they started offering more (I was happy!), limit one packet per person.  They are long season so the first thing I'm doing this year is growing them out mixed with Joseph's landrace moschatas to get some northern adapted green fleshed squash....then after that the true fun will start!  Just wanted to mention this here in case anyone else happened to be looking for green fleshed squash for a breeding project.  I'm planning to breed them to the C. moschata summer squash 'Avocado' to hopefully get a nice green hue for mock guacamole apps.  

Probably these seeds won't last long.



Greg, I ordered them before they sold out initially and now have the packet in with my special seeds. I also hope to grow them with Lofthouse moschata this year as that actually ripens for me unlike most moschatas. I will probaby do one green fleshed plant in the greenhouse with one Lofthouse moschata and six plants out with the main grex of things likely to cross with Moschata which will be banded yellow/green from Autumns Choice G3 just a few plants, a few Lofthouse, and all the Tetsukabuto G2 I can grow.
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2339
Location: Maine, zone 5
1036
2
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Ellendra Nauriel wrote:Thank you for posting! I had added these to a previous order, but by the time I got through picking out what else I wanted, they were sold out!

I don't know yet if I'll grow these this year, but it's definitely something unique for my collection!


It's funny, same happened to me Ellendra.  I've resorted to rapidly ordering things from them now and then finding more things I want after 😢.  Every time I wait something in my cart goes sold out.  This time it was their rattail radishes.  Oh well.
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2339
Location: Maine, zone 5
1036
2
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

William Schlegel wrote: Greg, I ordered them before they sold out initially and now have the packet in with my special seeds. I also hope to grow them with Lofthouse moschata this year as that actually ripens for me unlike most moschatas. I will probaby do one green fleshed plant in the greenhouse with one Lofthouse moschata and six plants out with the main grex of things likely to cross with Moschata which will be banded yellow/green from Autumns Choice G3 just a few plants, a few Lofthouse, and all the Tetsukabuto G2 I can grow.


That sounds like a great plan William.  I'm really looking forward to what comes out of all this!
 
pollinator
Posts: 514
Location: the mountains of western nc
125
forest garden trees foraging chicken food preservation cooking wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
wow. i had no idea such a thing existed...ordered! thanks for the reminder!

very curious to see how these genetics play with the deep orange flesh in my landrace!
 
gardener
Posts: 2100
Location: Ladakh, Indian Himalayas at 10,500 feet, zone 5
483
trees food preservation solar greening the desert
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can imagine applications for a green-fleshed starchy vegetable, but I seem to remember Joseph maybe saying that the richer orange squashes often taste better and have more of those useful nutrients...? Though I can also imagine that the dark green flesh conceals the full complement of those orange nutrients.
 
greg mosser
pollinator
Posts: 514
Location: the mountains of western nc
125
forest garden trees foraging chicken food preservation cooking wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i general i think that’s true, that the deep orange fleshed squash taste better. the description of these green ones is that they may taste a little weird. they say it tastes like a regular butternut, but with some edge of flavor that’s not super identifiable- they mention spinach and candied papaya. definitely curious, and definitely not going to let it get pollen to all of my landrace.
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2339
Location: Maine, zone 5
1036
2
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think it would also be interesting to cross this one with a very light flesh colored variety such as Quaker Pie Pumpkin to see how that plays with the color and flavor.  Anyone have any ideas how to source Quaker Pie Pumpkin?  I'm coming up with nothing this morning.  Baker Creek used to offer it, but I they took their whole site down again (I so wish they would at least let you look at variety info....if anyone from Baker Creek is looking at this please, please, please let us still see the info when you stop order taking....please😁 ).  Anyhow, here's a pic of that one:
 
steward
Posts: 5551
Location: Cache Valley, zone 4b, Irrigated, 9" rain in badlands.
2177
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I grew Black Futsu, which has a green layer just under the skin. I really enjoyed the taste. Alas, it's traits didn't stick around.

 
William Schlegel
pollinator
Posts: 647
Location: Montana
227
forest garden trees
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Perhaps unfortunately the G2 of my dehybridization project of Autumn's choice was very pale fleshed. I really want the banded pattern in my grex so will keep some, so I may get the opportunity to see how it crosses with the green fleshed.

The green fleshed itself is not consistently green from the description there is lots of variation within it. Which should also mean variable flavor dilutions.

My aunt misses my old Maxima population which was light fleshed. Some people prefer mild flavored squash. Also mild light colored squash has some uses. Agrosperma/mixta has light flesh and it is great cooked with something stronger flavored like beets or beef because it picks up the flavor and doesn't have its own strong flavor to compete. Though mixed in a population different flavors may be hard to anticipate in a culinary plan.
 
Posts: 83
Location: PA, zone 6a
16
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The  moschata-argyrosperma accessions with bits of green flesh also seem to have yellow flesh in certain sections. Wonder if whatever chemical makes up the green color also has a specific taste.
 
Greg Martin
gardener
Posts: 2339
Location: Maine, zone 5
1036
2
forest garden trees food preservation solar wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Common Wealth Seed Growers has these for sale again:  Guatemalan Green Ayote Squash
gift
 
Garden Mastery Academy - Module 1: Dare to Dream
will be released to subscribers in: soon!
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic