new videos
hot off the press!  
    more about rocket
mass heaters here.

more videos from
the PDC here.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

WILD Mushrooms in my corn, can I EAT THEM?  RSS feed

 
Randy May
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Like I said, I have lots of mushrooms popping up where I have my corn growing. I dont know anything about wild mushrooms at all and dont want to get my self sick if I was to eat them, But if I can eat them then it would be a good for me.
I dont know how hard I would be to find out what thes are, and if there ok to eat. Well I know a fast way to find out but I'm not got to just eat them and see. =P


 
Alder Burns
pollinator
Posts: 1374
Location: northern California
45
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I got books and studied wild mushrooms for ten years before I put one in my mouth! They are that subtle and dangerous! Your photos are good, I could probably pull out my book and call it for you. But that doesn't mean every mushroom out there is that same kind...even side by side in the same area. Word to the wise: there are old mushroom pickers, and there are bold mushroom pickers. But there are no old bold mushroom pickers!!
 
Randy May
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for your insight. I still would like to know what you think they could me if you dont mind. I have dogs and if these can hurt them I would like to know so I can get rid of them.
 
chris cromeens
Posts: 63
Location: north texas 7b now 8a
fish fungi trees
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If its edible, it is not a common edible. Not one I would try for sure. Don't think you have to worry bout the dogs. You want mushrooms edible or not to cycle nutrients
 
Radka Kolacny
Posts: 15
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That does seem to look like one of MY favourite edibles :)
The Parasol mushroom.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=parasol+mushroom&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=TNa&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=78QWUP-DG8i_rQGDyYDwCA&ved=0CFcQsAQ&biw=1525&bih=664
what does it look like all grown up?
Look up lepiota (the genus name) if you don't think it's that one.
The mushrooms you want to watch out for that are 'similar-ish' that are poisonus are mushrooms in the amanita family.
 
Randy May
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
They look more like that lepiota type.
 
Shaun Simmons
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've been 'shrooming for over 10 years now. I started with the "Foolproof Five" (the "foolproof four"--puffball, sulfur shelf, chantrelle and morell--plus shaggy mane, which is also pretty foolproof), and slowly spread out to others. Even more than with plants, never ever eat a mushroom you can't identify. Even the universal edibility test can fail you if you get into one of the poisonous mushrooms. The Amanitas, for instance, kill you by killing your liver; by the time you feel that anything is wrong there's nothing that can be done to save your liver. As the saying goes, "there are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

I highly recommend getting a guide book that includes a key-based identification system as this will be the best way to keep you from mis-identifying something. David Aurora's books are very good for those in the western states (particularly Washington, Oregon & California), and if you live elsewhere I'm sure that your local mushroom club can suggest the best book for your area.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://stoves2.com
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!