• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Seeking masonry heater plans  RSS feed

 
Vern Faulkner
Posts: 35
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've done a bit of poking around, and to my surprise, there's not a lot of plans out there for DIY masonry heater construction. Suggestions?
 
Joe Braxton
Posts: 320
Location: NC (northern piedmont)
13
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it may give you some ideas..


http://www.firespeaking.com/portfolio/the-cabin-stove/
 
Rion Mather
Posts: 644
2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A starting point.

Masonry Heater Association of North America
http://www.mha-net.org/

 
kathy Curtis
Posts: 1
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Russian Stove master Igor Kuznetsov makes available working drawings for quite a few stoves. His web site is:

http://www.stove.ru/index.php?lng=1&rs=16

If you look down the left side of the page till you see “working drawings” you will find a large number of drawings.

I built one if his stoves ten years ago. Here are the working drawings for the one I built:

http://www.stove.ru/index.php?lng=1&rs=138

Here is the video of the build:



This stove is amazing. Wonderful heat is produced on very little wood. I have owned a lot of stoves in my life, but nothing even comes close to this one.
 
Mike Cantrell
Posts: 555
Location: Mid-Michigan
28
bee books duck food preservation forest garden hunting solar trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here's one from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources:

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub781.pdf‎

Kathy Curtis wrote:I built one if his stoves ten years ago. Here are the working drawings for the one I built:
http://www.stove.ru/index.php?lng=1&rs=138
Here is the video of the build:

This stove is amazing. Wonderful heat is produced on very little wood. I have owned a lot of stoves in my life, but nothing even comes close to this one.


Wow, Kathy, great job! Inspiring! Love it.
 
Len Ovens
pollinator
Posts: 1452
Location: Vancouver Island
29
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
kathy Curtis wrote:Russian Stove master Igor Kuznetsov makes available working drawings for quite a few stoves. His web site is:

http://www.stove.ru/index.php?lng=1&rs=16

If you look down the left side of the page till you see “working drawings” you will find a large number of drawings.

I built one if his stoves ten years ago. Here are the working drawings for the one I built:

http://www.stove.ru/index.php?lng=1&rs=138

Here is the video of the build:



This stove is amazing. Wonderful heat is produced on very little wood. I have owned a lot of stoves in my life, but nothing even comes close to this one.


Nice build.

The "Russian Rocket" is based on his drawings too. Great idea of marking each course with it's number. The only thing to watch out for is the difference in brick sizes. Russian fire brick is bigger than that here in North America. And of course if you use clay brick for facing it is smaller again. So your finished size may be less than the drawing would indicate. Also any of the Wild Acres photo sets of builds are almost like a plan too on the MHA site.

Just as a note for those who think these are too costly, there have been heaters built to these plans out of home made adobe brick that are working well. It is nice to do at least the fire box out of fire brick... the fire box uses about the same number of fire brick as the RMH from the book does and it uses the cheaper high density ones at that. These fire brick are free if you can find someone who is taking a fire place out. I got mine from someone who was happy for me to take as many as I wanted (and more) so he had less to deal with (I have yet to build anything with them ). For mortar use clay slip (thin cob with no hay) but no portland cement! Refractory cement/mortar is fine of course if you have the cash.
 
Mike Cantrell
Posts: 555
Location: Mid-Michigan
28
bee books duck food preservation forest garden hunting solar trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just discovered another set here, for a very attractive small stove.

Here's the plans:
http://www.vftshop.com/images/others/Stove/Vortex%20Stove.pdf


And here's the thread with details and photos:
http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread/703/vortex-stove
 
Adam Jonathan
Posts: 50
Location: Shenandoah Valley
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone know what temperature this type of Russian Stove exhausts at in Farenheit?  I have an old flu that will likely have fires if I don't keep the exhaust below 200 degrees F.

If the Russian Stoves exhaust at higher temps, any ideas on ways to capture additional heat prior to exhaust?

Thank you,

Adam
 
Thomas Giesinger
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone

I'm Thomas from Switzerland. I just signed in because I found this interesting post with the video and plans for Kuznetsovs stove and I have a question about it. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm completely new to the topic. So here is my question:

* What are the openings on the side for?

Thanks for sharing your insights!
 
Mike Cantrell
Posts: 555
Location: Mid-Michigan
28
bee books duck food preservation forest garden hunting solar trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Adam Jonathan wrote:Does anyone know what temperature this type of Russian Stove exhausts at in Farenheit?  I have an old flu that will likely have fires if I don't keep the exhaust below 200 degrees F.

If the Russian Stoves exhaust at higher temps, any ideas on ways to capture additional heat prior to exhaust?

Thank you,

Adam


They'll exhaust at fairly low temperatures. The idea is that the bricks soak up the heat. But the better place to start is, why do you suspect the flue would have fires? Can't you clean it?
 
Mike Cantrell
Posts: 555
Location: Mid-Michigan
28
bee books duck food preservation forest garden hunting solar trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thomas Giesinger wrote:Hello everyone

I'm Thomas from Switzerland. I just signed in because I found this interesting post with the video and plans for Kuznetsovs stove and I have a question about it. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm completely new to the topic. So here is my question:

* What are the openings on the side for?

Thanks for sharing your insights!


The side openings are ash clean-outs. The exhausts gases flow all through the stove, and they'll drop a little bit of ash. You can't reach all the areas through the firebox- to clean out that ash as it builds up, it's necessary to have a little access door.
 
Thomas Giesinger
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mike

thanks for your reply! There was talk about different fire brick sizes in the US and in Russia. Do you happen to have any numbers?
 
He loves you so much! And I'm baking the cake! I'm going to put this tiny ad in the cake:
Video of all the permaculture design course and appropriate technology course (about 177 hours)
https://permies.com/wiki/65386/paul-wheaton/digital-market/Video-PDC-ATC-hours-HD
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!