• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • r ranson
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Leigh Tate
  • jordan barton
stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • paul wheaton
  • Liv Smith
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Jay Angler
  • John F Dean
gardeners:
  • Nancy Reading
  • Beau Davidson
  • Heather Sharpe

id food-grade Diatomaceous Earth?

 
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I purchased some Diatomaceous Earth from Home Depo. The ingredient list says it has 77.9% Silicon Dioxide from Diatomaceous Earth & 22.31% other ingredients. Can someone tell me if this is the food grade Diatomaceous Earth.
 
steward
Posts: 7926
Location: Currently in Lake Stevens, WA. Home in Spokane
333
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"Food Grade" should be clearly printed on the label if it is food grade.
If you bought it from their swimming pool supplies section, it is not food grade.



 
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I bought a 20lb bag at Tractor Supply Co. yesterday for my dog. It says "Diatomaceous Earth and Calcium Bentonite, Food Chemical Codex Grade" They carry it as something to mix with animal feed. "95% Ash (mineral matter)" Someone correct me if im wrong, but this is the stuff right? The brand i got is "Red Lake Earth" and made in Canada. My puppy has a touch of mange. Last night I gave her an oatmeal bath and dried her off real good. Then sprinkled the stuff on her and rubbed it in making sure it got up under her coat real well and rubbed it into the one small bald sore spot she has on her head. She sat still while i did it and didn't do any excessive scratching after that (really no more scratching at all) This morning the redness is gone from the bald spot. The 20 lb bag was $12.99.
 
pollinator
Posts: 2392
92
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Allen Herod wrote:I bought a 20lb bag at Tractor Supply Co. yesterday for my dog. It says "Diatomaceous Earth and Calcium Bentonite, Food Chemical Codex Grade" They carry it as something to mix with animal feed. "95% Ash (mineral matter)" Someone correct me if im wrong, but this is the stuff right? The brand i got is "Red Lake Earth" and made in Canada. My puppy has a touch of mange. Last night I gave her an oatmeal bath and dried her off real good. Then sprinkled the stuff on her and rubbed it in making sure it got up under her coat real well and rubbed it into the one small bald sore spot she has on her head. She sat still while i did it and didn't do any excessive scratching after that (really no more scratching at all) This morning the redness is gone from the bald spot. The 20 lb bag was $12.99.



Sounds right to this chemist. The reason it chemically analyzes out as "95% ash" is that diatomaceous earth is silica particles or SiO2, which is also known as "silica ash". The other 5%? Well, that would cover the calcium and aluminum that might be present from the bentonite.

Nice to know it works on mange, I'll have to file that fact away.
 
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you! - Seuss. Tiny ad:
list of early bird goodies for rmh jamboree movie kickstarter
https://permies.com/w/earlybird
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic