Well, the apiary took a step closer this week with a swarm of bees caught. I managed to get stung and didn't die, so things are looking promising. I'm trying to work out how to promote myself locally as a bee rescue service.
The first two photos are of my experimental wood chip/poly culture patch. As well as fruit trees we have currant bushes, globe artichoke, comfrey, strawberries, walking onions and rhubarb. This spring everything is finally spreading out and filling in. The strawberries have loads of flowers everything is growing vigorously. This is the area I intend to expand considerably.
The final photo is of a bay of our woodshed. Each bay is 8ft by 8ft and stacked around 8ft tall. A single bay should be enough to keep us going for a whole winter. The shed is built with 3 bays, the idea being that we can get far enough ahead that we are always burning dry wood. In previous years we have always stacked the split logs carefully, but this was so time consuming and my parents were just not very good at, so stacks collapsed. This year I have added side panels and we have been just throwing logs in loose - it will probably be a little slower to dry but is much more time efficient for us. The planks were cut freehand with a chainsaw from some wind blown pines.
Moderator, Treatment Free Beekeepers group on Facebook.