• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

This dairy farmer just grows crops for his cows instead of grass.

 
Kevin MacBearach
Posts: 213
Location: Beavercreek, Oregon
2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Seems as though this could revolutionize the way we look at pasture fed dairy.
 
Diogenese simpson
Posts: 22
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hmmmmmm he just found out what FARMERS KNEW years ago before the big ag BS explosion , 50 years ago growing up on a mixed farm I was taught and knew the first growth was the best feed ,milk production went up as soon as the cows started to spring graze , AND you rotated pastures to keep the new growth coming , concentrates were only a stop gap in winter to fill the protein gap caused by no quality forage growth , what you have here is the rebirth of FARMING , instead of scientific raping of the land !
 
Kevin MacBearach
Posts: 213
Location: Beavercreek, Oregon
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I could be wrong but I'm not sure if medieval farmers would actually plant different "crops" specifically for the cows to graze over every couple months. I think this guy is doing something new.
 
Diogenese simpson
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you YouTube "medieval monastery farm ". There is a really good look at how Elizabethan farmers in the UK worked , they had to be permies , they had no choice ,it show the use of tree hay, harvest for human consumption and the " waste " fed to animals , their system worked ,we are still here !
There are lots of BBC video on how farming was done before fertilizers and diesel supplied muscle , "Tales from the green valley" . "Victorian" /" Edwardian" farm series and right up to "wartime farm" (second world war )lots of i think accidental information that permies can use, after all it was supposed to be entertainment , watch with your permie hat on .
 
Cj Sloane
pollinator
Posts: 3646
Location: Vermont, off grid for 22 years!
78
bee chicken fungi solar trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Diogenese simpson wrote:If you YouTube "medieval monastery farm ". There is a really good look at how Elizabethan farmers in the UK worked , they had to be permies , they had no choice ,it show the use of tree hay, harvest for human consumption and the " waste " fed to animals , their system worked ,we are still here !
There are lots of BBC video on how farming was done before fertilizers and diesel supplied muscle , "Tales from the green valley" . "Victorian" /" Edwardian" farm series and right up to "wartime farm" (second world war )lots of i think accidental information that permies can use, after all it was supposed to be entertainment , watch with your permie hat on .


Yes those are all awesome. I started a few threads about them but it never sparked any interest.

Not a bad idea to save them to your HD.
 
Diogenese simpson
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cj Verde wrote:
Diogenese simpson wrote:If you YouTube "medieval monastery farm ". There is a really good look at how Elizabethan farmers in the UK worked , they had to be permies , they had no choice ,it show the use of tree hay, harvest for human consumption and the " waste " fed to animals , their system worked ,we are still here !
There are lots of BBC video on how farming was done before fertilizers and diesel supplied muscle , "Tales from the green valley" . "Victorian" /" Edwardian" farm series and right up to "wartime farm" (second world war )lots of i think accidental information that permies can use, after all it was supposed to be entertainment , watch with your permie hat on .


Yes those are all awesome. I started a few threads about them but it never sparked any interest.

Not a bad idea to save them to your HD.

they are great tv lots of ideas from the time they had to be self suffiicient permies ,though i watch them use a scythe and cringe lol. the victorian kitchen garden is another series that is very educational well worth watching just to see what we have lost in the art of gardening and horticulture , all that know how gone in one fossill fuiled century that took three thousand years to learn and they call it progress .
 
Kevin MacBearach
Posts: 213
Location: Beavercreek, Oregon
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow! 6 hours of video on Medieval Gardening. I'll be busy watching these in the next few days. Thanks!
 
Cj Sloane
pollinator
Posts: 3646
Location: Vermont, off grid for 22 years!
78
bee chicken fungi solar trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
And the guy from the tree hay video on my "feeding my cows trees" thread makes a cameo!
 
Tokunbo Popoola
Posts: 202
Location: Sacramento, CA
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kevin MacBearach wrote:Seems as though this could revolutionize the way we look at pasture fed dairy.


if he used ducks. to get the second cut. or geese to get that knock back. might work even better
 
Kevin MacBearach
Posts: 213
Location: Beavercreek, Oregon
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tokunbo Popoola wrote:
if he used ducks. to get the second cut. or geese to get that knock back. might work even better


Not sure I know what you mean. Could you explain how that would work?
 
Tokunbo Popoola
Posts: 202
Location: Sacramento, CA
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kevin MacBearach wrote:
Tokunbo Popoola wrote:
if he used ducks. to get the second cut. or geese to get that knock back. might work even better


Not sure I know what you mean. Could you explain how that would work?


hes using a lawn mower to cut back the "grass" for planting. he has to cut it back twice with the lawn mower if he had used geese. to cut it back. he could have saved fuel and made a bit of money at the same time. geese eat a lot of grass
 
I agree. Here's the link: https://richsoil.com/wood-heat.jsp
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic