Treating Poison Ivy Exposures
If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):
first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
Nick Garbarino wrote:Many years ago I knew a woman who ate it and it apparently worked as a preventative for her without any problems. She talked her husband into eating some and the inside of his mouth and throat swelled up so bad he had to be rushed to the emergency room. With medical treatment, he survived. They split up not long after that.
* Cilantro juice -- take a handful of cilantro in a blender with a cup of water, then drink it. If you've got active rash, strain the juice and put the cilantro mush on the rash as a poultice and drink the juice. If I'm active outside I drink 1 cup per day, if I get a rash I go up to 3-4 cups a day.
Larry Shaules wrote:I have found that washing with Dawn dish soap and applying it on infected areas after using witch hazel to kill the infection is the easiest and most cost effective answer. I am very sensitive to poison oak and have even gotten it from the dust. I am now able to go prospecting for gold in California without fear. Oh happy days.
Hope this helps.
My thought is would a hive, located near poison ivy or poison oak (we have neither where I live, to my knowledge) create the same edible inoculation in a safer manner?