• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Peach tree? or wishful thinking?  RSS feed

 
Galadriel Freden
Posts: 363
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think I planted a peach pit in this pot last autumn. I planted a bunch, and I remember where I put some, but not every one. Now I've got a seedling but I can't be sure if it's a peach! Can anyone confirm (or deny)? Many thanks!
DSCF0006.JPG
[Thumbnail for DSCF0006.JPG]
mystery seedling
 
John Wolfram
Posts: 652
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
23
trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The leaves certainly look like peach leaves. It is hidden in the picture, but at that size the lower trunk of the tree should be turning (or have already turned) from green to woody brown.
 
Judith Browning
Posts: 5912
Location: Arkansas Ozarks zone 7 alluvial,black,deep loam/clay with few rocks, wonderful creek bottom!
367
bike chicken fungi trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Galadriel Freden wrote:I think I planted a peach pit in this pot last autumn. I planted a bunch, and I remember where I put some, but not every one. Now I've got a seedling but I can't be sure if it's a peach! Can anyone confirm (or deny)? Many thanks!


it looks very much like a peach seedling to me If you planted the whole pit and not too deep, there should be the outer layer visible or maybe you can feel it just below the surface of the soil. What variety?
 
Galadriel Freden
Posts: 363
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Judith Browning wrote:

it looks very much like a peach seedling to me If you planted the whole pit and not too deep, there should be the outer layer visible or maybe you can feel it just below the surface of the soil. What variety?


I think it was one of those cute donut peaches from the grocery store. They had a really tiny pit, compared to "normal" peaches.
 
Galadriel Freden
Posts: 363
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John Wolfram wrote:The leaves certainly look like peach leaves. It is hidden in the picture, but at that size the lower trunk of the tree should be turning (or have already turned) from green to woody brown.


I'll have a look; the seedling is actually about twice as big now--I took the photo last month.

Ed. to add: there is about 1-2 inches of woody brown right at the base.
 
rubbery bacon. rubbery tiny ad:
Learn, Design, Teach, & Inspire with Permaculture games.
FoodForestCardGame.com
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!