Win a copy of Grocery Story this week in the City Repair forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Anne Miller
stewards:
  • Mike Jay
  • paul wheaton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
garden masters:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Steve Thorn
  • James Freyr
  • Greg Martin
  • Dave Burton
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Dan Boone

Anal Prolapse

 
Posts: 1827
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
121
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Turns out his butt may have been dirty for a reason. He prolapsed this morning. We shoved it back in but it came right back out. So we were at the vet getting our pigs anus sown shut. I swear I can't make this stuff up. The vet informed us that if it happened again we'd just have to eat him. The healthy pig has been quite emotional about this whole thing. He cried when we took his friend and he's moping about the barn still, crying every now and again. The prolapsed pig is back, but secluded. We were told not to let them together so the healthy pig didn't nibble at his butt. Our pigs have been quite an adventure.
 
Posts: 1113
Location: Mountains of Vermont, USDA Zone 3
57
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cull to meat any pig that prolapses or hernias. I would segregate it. They do heal but they're not a good choice as a breeder.
 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1827
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
121
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Walter Jeffries wrote:Cull to meat any pig that prolapses or hernias. I would segregate it. They do heal but they're not a good choice as a breeder.



He is a neutered meat pig so he was eventually going to be eaten anyway. I just hope he isn't a ton of work.
 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1827
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
121
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok he seems ok but I'm a worrier and I'm worried. I don't know that he's pooping at all. I'm putting a cup of mineral oil in his feed every time I feed him. It's just that his butt is very clean and I'm not sure he's pooping. He seems to be in no discomfort. He's active and eating and seems absolutely fine. Am I worrying for nothing? If he isn't pooping, then what?
 
Walter Jeffries
Posts: 1113
Location: Mountains of Vermont, USDA Zone 3
57
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

elle sagenev wrote:Ok he seems ok but I'm a worrier and I'm worried. I don't know that he's pooping at all. I'm putting a cup of mineral oil in his feed every time I feed him. It's just that his butt is very clean and I'm not sure he's pooping. He seems to be in no discomfort. He's active and eating and seems absolutely fine. Am I worrying for nothing? If he isn't pooping, then what?



Me too... a worrier. I would watch him. As long as he is doing fine I would keep raising him. If he starts to lose condition then I would slaughter him. Keep an eye on him. The mineral oil is good. Not too much.
 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1827
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
121
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Walter Jeffries wrote:

elle sagenev wrote:Ok he seems ok but I'm a worrier and I'm worried. I don't know that he's pooping at all. I'm putting a cup of mineral oil in his feed every time I feed him. It's just that his butt is very clean and I'm not sure he's pooping. He seems to be in no discomfort. He's active and eating and seems absolutely fine. Am I worrying for nothing? If he isn't pooping, then what?



Me too... a worrier. I would watch him. As long as he is doing fine I would keep raising him. If he starts to lose condition then I would slaughter him. Keep an eye on him. The mineral oil is good. Not too much.



God I hope we don't have to kill him already. He's only 60lbs. I need more meat than that! I get what you are saying though.
 
straws are for suckers. tiny ads are for attractive people.
Food Forest Card Game - Game Forum
https://permies.com/t/61704/Food-Forest-Card-Game-Game
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!