Usually when I get stung I just crush up some plantain and rub it on. Doesn't work as well as it used to, so I suspect the venom of insects has been evolving into something more potent. Vitamin C, taken internally, can bind with and prevent some toxins from harming the body. Just got stung by a wasp and swelling up, a little difficulty breathing, so took a Benadryl as last resort, but don't like to. Just two weeks ago I was stung by three bald faced hornets and didn't react, although they are very painful, but it must have sensitized me. I'm asking for advice, any of you with experience with other natural treatments so I don't have to take Benadryl? What happens when the time comes and we can't get it? Thanks to all of you permies out there.
I put honey on the wound usually and that's about it, multiple stings over an extended period doesn't always increase sensitivity. My father used to react really badly to bee stings but once we got bees and he got stung frequently the reactions stopped after a while.
Location: Appalachian Mountains
posted 3 years ago
Thanks Andy. BTW, I love New Zealand, wish I lived there, but Appalachia is pretty great too.