brand new video:
       
get all 177 hours of
presentations here.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Collagen on the cheap?  RSS feed

 
N Thomas
Posts: 87
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,
I've been buying powdered beef gelatin as a source of collagen from Amazon for some months. It's pretty expensive. Is there a cheaper option? Thanks!
 
Nicole Alderman
garden master
Posts: 1529
Location: Pacific Northwest
198
cat duck forest garden hugelkultur cooking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are you buying the Great Lakes brand collagen? I recently discovered Zint gelatin, and they make collagen, too. It's currently $20 for 16oz, which is a lot cheaper than Great Lakes. You can order it through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Collagen-Hydrolysate-Protein-Powder-Pasture-Raised


I've never bought collagen, and don't know too much about it. Can you get it from homemade bone broth?
 
Liz Hoxie
Posts: 225
Location: Ellisforde, WA
1
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bone broth is a good source, but the powdered collagen is supposed to dissolve in cold liquids and gelatin doesn't. I need to get some more. It has helped me stop sounding like Rice Krispies in the morning and it doesn't hurt to get out of bed.
 
N Thomas
Posts: 87
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Liz Hoxie wrote:Bone broth is a good source, but the powdered collagen is supposed to dissolve in cold liquids and gelatin doesn't. I need to get some more. It has helped me stop sounding like Rice Krispies in the morning and it doesn't hurt to get out of bed.

Thanks Liz. If I'm seeking collagen from bone broth, do I have to do anything special when making the broth besides simmering beef bones?
 
N Thomas
Posts: 87
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nicole Alderman wrote:Are you buying the Great Lakes brand collagen? I recently discovered Zint gelatin, and they make collagen, too. It's currently $20 for 16oz, which is a lot cheaper than Great Lakes. You can order it through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Collagen-Hydrolysate-Protein-Powder-Pasture-Raised


I've never bought collagen, and don't know too much about it. Can you get it from homemade bone broth?

Hi Nicole,
Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, I've been a Great Lakes customer. I took a look on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Zint-Nutrition-Unflavored-Gelatin-Powder/dp/B0127MNEX8/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486500796&sr=8-1&keywords=zint%2Bgelatin&th=1 and Zint is definitely cheaper.
 
Casie Becker
gardener
Posts: 1474
Location: Just northwest of Austin, TX
117
forest garden urban
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
N Thomas wrote:
Thanks Liz. If I'm seeking collagen from bone broth, do I have to do anything special when making the broth besides simmering beef bones?


Add a little vinegar to the water. Some people like to soak the bones in the vinegar water for a few hours before they start the boiling. Don't forget to include as many joints as possible. Feet and necks are great for this.
 
William Bronson
Posts: 1448
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio,Price Hill 45205
18
forest garden trees urban
 
Nicole Alderman
garden master
Posts: 1529
Location: Pacific Northwest
198
cat duck forest garden hugelkultur cooking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
William Bronson wrote: I get a lot of gelatine from chicken skin.

Chicken feet are also superb for getting lots of gelatin. Joints are also really good. I've noticed that if a broth is just made from beef bones, it doesn't seem to gel as much as chicken bones do, but that could be because it's easy to get beef bones without any joints. 
 
William Bronson
Posts: 1448
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio,Price Hill 45205
18
forest garden trees urban
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My family tends to gnaw the joints,removing the collagen the primitive way....
 
Forget Steve. Look at this tiny ad:
Ernie and Erica Wisner's Rocket Mass Heater Everything Combo
https://permies.com/t/40993/digital-market/digital-market/Ernie-Erica-Wisner-Rocket-Mass
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!