Tyler Ludens wrote:The main danger is in the handling of the fresh Hemlock, which can cause severe phytodermatitis. I ended up with a scarred arm from clearing Hemlock plants.
Gilbert Fritz wrote:I'd add that it is hard to remove. It has a deep and vigorous taproot, and can spreads seeds abundantly. So just hoeing it down, or even digging it out, is unlikely to eradicate it for several years.
Wes Hunter wrote:I'd just hoe it and leave it for dead. Let it 'compost' to enrich the soil where it is currently growing.
Bryant RedHawk wrote:Hemlock's poisonous compounds degrade rather quickly, but they also leach out in water, so if you compost it for a year you should not have to worry about your geese eating what you grow for them in that spot.
Digging is the fastest method of removal but as mentioned, small roots will eventually regrow so it will be like removing blackberries, a multi year project.
I would recommend a hot composting rather than a rot in place approach.
Eric Hammond wrote:I'd like to know how your compost turned out. I have a bunch of poison hemlock at my place and I must admit...I kind of really like the plant. Everywhere there is a patch of it this soil is an incredible moist crumb structure...I just can't help but think it would make excellent compost. It grows so fast and make so much material thats easy to cut and harvest. ( I haven't had any adverse skin reactions, I used to take naps in it till I learned what it was) when I had goats they used to mow the stuff down....it clearly was not poisonous to goats. I just built a compost pile with a bunch of it to try my luck but it really didn't have enough manure. Now I'm just rambling....I'm thinking about spreading more poison hemlock around the place!
A lot of people cry when they cut onions. The trick is not to form an emotional bond. This tiny ad told me:
It's like binging on 7 seasons of your favorite netflix permaculture showhttp://permaculture-design-course.com/