I started a batch of basic sauerkraut in a 15L crock on Feb. 18. I opened it up today to find that the weighted stones and large leaves had dropped into the brine. Big oops, sometime in moving it. The floating kraut looked and smelled perfect. One of the large leaves had a small but tall grey mold patch so I know that it has been sideways for a few days.
My question is, there may have been mold on the top of the brine when the stones toppled into the brine, so if there was active mold on top of the brine and it was submerged into the brine, how effective are my lacto-babies at killing the mold?
posted 6 months ago
Joe Habaceeba wrote: how effective are my lacto-babies at killing the mold?
Fairly good. I draw the line at soft&mushy. If the kraut is still crispy and tart-tasting, I'd eat it. If it is soft, liquefying, or has any sulfur odor, then it's gone bad.
If you buy it at street markets in poor Eastern European countries, it can also have some yeasty fizz going on in the fermentation. I've eaten that without any adverse consequences.