I cut these logs two and half weeks ago and another one week ago. Is this sap that is discoloring? Can I still use these for growing Mushrooms?
posted 2 weeks ago
It might be sap (idk the least thing about whether and how sap discolors wood after being cut), but let me say this...
If you cut the log two weeks ago, it is probably not a viable substrate for mushroom cultivation AS IT CURRENTLY IS. Once you cut the log, exposing some of the wood beneath the bark, it becomes open season on the wood for any mushroom spores that land on it. Since mushroom spores are constantly present in the air, chances are high that after two weeks have passed, some contaminant species probably has alteady begun to colonize the wood.
What I would consider doing if I were you would be chipping the wood and pasteurizing it. This will allow you to start with a clean slate and you can innoculate the woodchips with some grain or wood spawn of your chosen species.
Leaving visual appearance to one side (someone else with more experience can speak to that), theoretically you have little chance of success innoculating a whole log if the log has been sitting around for two weeks being cut. Its for the same reason you wouldn't use hydrated straw that had been sitting around for 2 weeks (you would have to pasterurize it first).
Look ma! I'm selling my stuff!
Mike Oehler's Low-Cost Underground House Workshop & Survival Shelter Seminar - 3 DVD+2 Books Deal