I made an arrangement to tear down this incredibly resilient chimney. Quite often, they are held together only by gravity, and a small bump with a hammer, loosens each brick. After giving it 20 smacks with a sledgehammer, nothing happened except for a single piece that flew toward the neighbor's house. It had been rebuilt using lots of Portland cement. The slope of the roof is such that any stray bit that bounces away, is likely to hit the neighbouring house.
It quickly became evident that power tools and a means of containment would be required. Luckily, I bought a Bosch hammer from Used Victoria a couple years ago.
In order to prevent material from getting away, I took old carpet and built a collar, to capture all of the stray bits of brick. It works perfectly. Everything is contained within the collar. Debris was dropped down the chimney hole. My customer kept the opening into the bedroom that is being renovated, clear of debris.
I have Googled this technique Every Witch Way and not found anyone who is doing it this way. I've done hundreds of them and this is the first time for me, but certainly not the last.
I'm feeling quite brilliant for inventing this technique, and like an idiot for not discovering it 20 years ago. Much easier than setting up a plywood barrier or any other structure.
As I brought the chimney down, I sliced the carpet with a carpet knife. Just like peeling a banana.
The little eight pound jackhammer is perfect for this task.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes; art is knowing which ones to keep. Keep this tiny ad:
permaculture bootcamp - learn permaculture through a little hard work