It is not the usual bad compost smell, like hydrogen sulfide or ammonia. Instead, it is the woody forest floor smell that a good pile is supposed to have, but so strong it can be smelled 200 feet away quite well, and we have to keep the windows shut. The pile is made of weeds and dead plants, not kitchen scraps or manure, with some soil, a bit of blood meal, and some gypsum added. It is maybe three cubic yards or less.
Sounds like you have a super compost rich in humic acid going there.
You are fortunate indeed. You could start using some of that golden compost and thus disperse the odor, if it is that bothersome.
If you just turned the heap, then it is telling you it is ready for use.
We love visitors, that's why we live in a secluded cabin deep in the woods. "Buzzard's Roost (Asnikiye Heca) Farm." Promoting permaculture to save our planet. you can call me Dr. Redhawk
Location: Denver, CO
posted 1 year ago
It smells like it all the time, but even stronger after turning.
I agree, it seems to be a sign that it is heating nicely.
I think I might have solved the "problem" by turning it and covering it with a thin layer of earth; the smell is still present but not overpowering. As expected, the core of the pile had lots of fungal type growth in it.
Sounds like you have a high fungal pile where most of the time when piles get out of balance it is more to the bacteria side. Would be great to spread around any trees you want to give a boost to, I would think.