Mike Haasl wrote:If the mushroom slurry turns into identifiable edible mushrooms, they shouldn't be eaten correct? By remediating the chemicals they are sucking them up and if you eat them, you're eating the chemicals?
James Freyr wrote:I'd like to chime in with my thoughts about the cause of the plant symptoms and death. After looking at the pictures I'm more inclined to believe the compost is the source of the effects, not the fresh wood chips or active drift from a neighbor.
Leah Holder wrote:... a little horse manure.
Mike Haasl wrote:Some of the new wonder herbicides can make it through an animal, get fully composted and then still kill your garden for a few years.
I live in farm country, and I have a neighbor who has some sprawling hayfields. He sprays an aminopyralid on his hay fields, square bales all of it and sells it to "horse people" as he refers to them. It's these aminopyralids that are very long lasting even through composting. According to him, a lot of folks who raise horses are very particular about the type of hay they feed their horses, and certain plants can potentially cause illness and other grasses can cause what is referred to as hay blister in horses. It allows him to offer hay of a single known grass type with nothing else in it for the horse market. I'm inclined to believe that the horse manure, unfortunately, contained residuals of these types of poisons. I'd also like to second Bryant Redhawks suggestion to apply mushroom slurries to the area and it will break down any chemical residuals. Mushroom slurries are easy to make. Take mushrooms, wild or store bought, whir them up in a blender with some non chlorinated water, and pour this on the area. A blender full can be thinned in a 5 gallon bucket to make it go farther as opposed to whirring up 5 gallons two quarts at a time.
Bryant RedHawk wrote:NOTE: Worms being present means the biolife we want in soil is mostly there, it does not mean there is a lack of contaminants!
Many, many species can survive and even thrive in environments that humans would not. One of the things that bikini atoll has taught us is that most of the life forms that have repopulated there are abble to cope with radiation levels that kill humans.
Chemistry testing is the primary way to know the safety of any soil or ammendment.
Brody Ekberg wrote:
It’s probably wise not to eat any of the mushrooms that fruit from the slurries correct? At least not for a few years until hopefully most of the chemicals are broken down?
Wood chips will not perform this function unless they are already innvaded by fungi. Chips that aren't decaying will simply be preserved, leaching of nutrients will not happen,
Kyle Anders wrote:Is a field covered in wood chips compatible with growing a hay crop like a mix of clover and some other perennial grass? Is there a way to broadcast seed through the wood chips, or should the hay be growing already? Or should i wait for the wood chips to break down on the surface and then plant a grass crop like normal?
Michael Moreken wrote:will be interesting if mushrooms grow on my no walk on beds.
Michael Moreken wrote:Any idea on depth of wood chips for an asparagus bed? I put maybe 2 inches on and saw and attacked a few weeds.
Ron Haberman wrote:Question on type of chips? I have access to a huge pile of chips at a local golf course close to my home. They have been taking out a large number of pine trees, long needles. The chip pile is 18' high and 30' long with a huge amount of green needles mixed in. Walking past it yesterday I noticed it was smoking in the cool air. Do you see any problems adding this type of chip mix to garden and flower beds come spring?
Eric Hanson wrote:Out of curiosity, what does the drying off do that is so beneficial?
Eric Hanson wrote:Redhawk, everyone,
So would I be correct to assume that with a little "conditioning"--that is drying out time--even pine trees and chips from pine trees would be good for my Wine Caps? I am asking this mostly out of curiosity, not because I have great plans to use pines or even a good source of pines.