• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
  • Nicole Alderman
stewards:
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • paul wheaton
  • Mike Haasl
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • John F Dean
  • Carla Burke
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Jay Angler
  • Leigh Tate
  • thomas rubino

D. Logan's PEA Development Thread

 
pollinator
Posts: 1581
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
499
hugelkultur dog forest garden urban cooking bike
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Addition: also 'game' we are not allowed to hunt. Here too: only certified hunters with a permission are allowed to hunt.
Only for fishing it's easy to obtain a permit, you just pay for it (but only in the fishing season).
 
gardener
Posts: 912
Location: Soutwest Ohio
311
homeschooling forest garden foraging rabbit tiny house books food preservation cooking writing woodworking homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:I saw there's a 'bird snare' mentioned.
What exactly do you mean by that?
Here it isn't allowed to catch birds. Only ornithologists with permission can catch birds (alive) for research purposes.



Youtube and many other sites don't allow you to show catching/killing a live animal. This would also have to be done potentially in an apartment, so not a lot of wild birds there. Showing it would be a matter of using a finger or prop to show how the trap would function. I've seen some videos where the person shows how the traps work using small plush toys and one or two where the person just gently presses a finger on the trigger.
 
Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
Posts: 1581
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
499
hugelkultur dog forest garden urban cooking bike
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

D. Logan wrote:

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:I saw there's a 'bird snare' mentioned.
What exactly do you mean by that?
Here it isn't allowed to catch birds. Only ornithologists with permission can catch birds (alive) for research purposes.



Youtube and many other sites don't allow you to show catching/killing a live animal. This would also have to be done potentially in an apartment, so not a lot of wild birds there. Showing it would be a matter of using a finger or prop to show how the trap would function. I've seen some videos where the person shows how the traps work using small plush toys and one or two where the person just gently presses a finger on the trigger.


Probably I don't understand. Why would I make a trap and try it out with a toy? What's the use of it?
Maybe you didn't understand my reply either. I mean: here in the Netherlands we are not allowed to catch birds. Only certified hunters with a permit are allowed to hunt certain birds, which are considered pests (mainly geese).
There are even activists here who lobby for making a law that cats have to stay indoors, because they kill birds!
 
D. Logan
gardener
Posts: 912
Location: Soutwest Ohio
311
homeschooling forest garden foraging rabbit tiny house books food preservation cooking writing woodworking homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:

D. Logan wrote:

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:I saw there's a 'bird snare' mentioned.
What exactly do you mean by that?
Here it isn't allowed to catch birds. Only ornithologists with permission can catch birds (alive) for research purposes.



Youtube and many other sites don't allow you to show catching/killing a live animal. This would also have to be done potentially in an apartment, so not a lot of wild birds there. Showing it would be a matter of using a finger or prop to show how the trap would function. I've seen some videos where the person shows how the traps work using small plush toys and one or two where the person just gently presses a finger on the trigger.


Probably I don't understand. Why would I make a trap and try it out with a toy? What's the use of it?
Maybe you didn't understand my reply either. I mean: here in the Netherlands we are not allowed to catch birds. Only certified hunters with a permit are allowed to hunt certain birds, which are considered pests (mainly geese).
There are even activists here who lobby for making a law that cats have to stay indoors, because they kill birds!



Regarding 'game', I noted it as obtain rather than hunt so that those who can't do so for whatever reason are able to simply purchase if they wish. I have known places in the past that will ship a frozen carcass to someone. Similarly working with the fish can be un-gutted whole fish from a market or online.

As to the purpose of proving the trap as functional rather than actively making use of it to catch a live animal is because it proves you do have the skill to do so. If I make a chair, but never sit in it, it remains a functional chair. My thinking here is that if you can show the ability to make a functional trap, the act of trapping an animal is not really vital. It's just a demonstration of knowledge and works as a springboard to do PEP if you wish to do actual trapping/hunting of animals. Since this is a task that had to be possible within an apartment (even if the person doesn't choose to do it within an apartment) each aspect had to be something possible within those limits. Hopefully that helps clarify why I went the route I did.
 
Posts: 108
Location: Japan
50
kids home care personal care foraging urban cooking medical herbs solar ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I love all the ideas here and I love that you want to make these badges and challenges accessible for all people all over the world! Just a few thoughts. Firstly disability. There should be enough flexibility built in to allow for disabilities and I wouldn't make the challenges too specific unless you have a really long list of them for people to choose from. I'd also try to be culturally aware. Permaculture focuses on local and in seasonal food yet most of the food prep examples are skewed towards a western diet. I think the examples are fine to be that way but there should be flexibility to include other foods that might not be as well known as long as the process is detailed and it fits with the permaculture ethos. For example fermenting could be a miso or natto, tempeh or doenjang etc. Some of the cutting techniques are western, Japan have their own basic cutting techniques (which has been fun for me to learn after moving here). They also have basic cooking techniques like using a drop lid whilst cooking. I'm mostly only giving examples from Japan as that's what I know, but i'm certain there will be many all over the world. Its impossible to list them all therefore if your requirements can be vague or flexible that would help.
 
N.Y. Anzai
Posts: 108
Location: Japan
50
kids home care personal care foraging urban cooking medical herbs solar ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

D. Logan wrote:PEA Electricity Badge for sand level. Slight adjustments to ensure everything was indoors and replacement of lead-acid battery aspects since it isn't wise/safe to be using those inside of an apartment.

Complete 5 points to get this badge (no duplication allowed):

Use an energy monitor (kill-a-watt) device to track the energy usage of the devices in your home. Journal the results  1/2 point
Create an evaporative cooling device (for limited refrigeration replacement or air cooling) for use in a low humidity environment  1/2 point
Work out a plan for reducing the energy usage in your home and put it into effect, documenting the results  1/2 point
Upgrade to rechargable batteries for all devices in your home and demonstrate recharging a full set  1/2 point
create a micro heater bubble  1 point
Upgrade the insulation of your home with blackout curtains, sealing strips on doors and windows, etc. Show the difference in electrical usage from heating (lower electric output or reduced fuel costs)  1/2 point
replacing a bathroom fan switch with a timer  1/2 point
repair a lamp (110v, 12v, car)  1/2 point
Install or repair a motion detecting lamp  1/2 point
Convert a normal lamp to detect motion  1/2 point
Set up a solar charger system in a window for charging small devices such as phones  1/2 point
repair a light switch  1/2 point
install a permanent light fixture 110v ac  1/2 point
install a permanent light fixture 12v dc  1/2 point
install a power outlet 110v ac  1/2 point
install a power outlet 12v dc  1/2 point
install a light switch  1/2 point
put a new end on an extension cord  1/2 point
label the breakers on an electrical panel  1/2 point
replace the heat element in a water heater or clothes dryer  1/2 point
craft a miniaturized solar water pump that can be taken to a future property (combo w plumbing badge)  1 - 1.5 points
Craft a small and portable DC only solar system  4 points



Been thinking about this one. Could you do some challenges to reduce energy? For example:

Reduce your daily electrical energy usage by 5% or even 10% for 30 days (show energy bill as proof?) Needs to compare 2 bills in the the same season. Detail what you did to achieve this.

Switch all lights to LED bulbs or show you already use them (I don't hear about this one here, are LEDs not common in the US?)

Raise/lower aircon/heater/radiator by 1-2 degrees (depending on season) e.g. normally you might have your aircon heater on at 20 degrees c in winter (drop to 18 and put on a jumper). You might put aircon on 26 degrees c during summer, well raise to 28 degrees c and think of a way to keep cool.

Switch your energy provider to one that uses at least 30-40% renewable (not sure how common they are in the US but very common in Europe and they have some in Japan too. Even better would be 100% renewable.

I can probably think of more but thought I'd leave it at that because perhaps the ideas are too simple or just not right.



 
Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
Posts: 1581
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
499
hugelkultur dog forest garden urban cooking bike
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

N.Y. Anzai wrote:

Switch all lights to LED bulbs or show you already use them (I don't hear about this one here, are LEDs not common in the US?)



I agree with your idea of a BB for lowering energy use.

About LEDs and other 'energy saving' lightbulbs ... listen to Paul's podcasts or read his book to know his view on this subject.
 
N.Y. Anzai
Posts: 108
Location: Japan
50
kids home care personal care foraging urban cooking medical herbs solar ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:

N.Y. Anzai wrote:

Switch all lights to LED bulbs or show you already use them (I don't hear about this one here, are LEDs not common in the US?)



I agree with your idea of a BB for lowering energy use.

About LEDs and other 'energy saving' lightbulbs ... listen to Paul's podcasts or read his book to know his view on this subject.



Oh thank you! I had a look at this thread and learnt a lot.

https://permies.com/t/led

I can totally see what he says about the subsidies and the light bulb companies. There are many companies and industries that do similar and I tend to avoid them as much as I can. But lobbying against your own products? That is quite sneaky indeed. I have seen a comeback from incandescent  due to interior design trends recently though...

I already had LEDs in my home when I moved in so definitely wouldn't change them as I do think the energy savings are great and so far my energy bills are none existent (The company pays me more for my generated solar than any I use out of daylight hours).

I also agree with the manufacture of the LED using more electrical parts and toxic chemicals, i'm really not sure how we get over some of these things. Example solar panels and home batteries and basically anything electrical. They almost all have very unethical supply chains as well. Yet renewable energy relies on electrical goods. I won't ever use Fossil fuels (no petrol or diesel car or generator) no natural gas, no coal) but struggle to reconcile with the issues with electrical goods for sure. I tend to get round most things with purchasing only secondhand.

I can see why this one shouldn't be a BB. Its up to the specific person to decide what works best for them. I'm in a warm climate but winters do get cold-ish though not like Canada cold or anything (i'm zone 8b) summers are HOT though. Definitely wouldn't want any extra heat with the lights. Even night time is hot (and humid) so LED work for us.
 
Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
Posts: 1581
Location: Meppel (Drenthe, the Netherlands)
499
hugelkultur dog forest garden urban cooking bike
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

N.Y. Anzai wrote: ...
I can see why this one shouldn't be a BB. Its up to the specific person to decide what works best for them. I'm in a warm climate but winters do get cold-ish though not like Canada cold or anything (i'm zone 8b) summers are HOT though. Definitely wouldn't want any extra heat with the lights. Even night time is hot (and humid) so LED work for us.


Yes, many things are dependent on where you live, climate, weather types, sun exposure, a.a. That's one of the difficulties for PEA BBs that fit everyone, wherever they live on Earth. I can think of a way that works here in north-western Europe, you can think of what works in Japan, others here can think of the USA, Canada, Hawaï ... But it's hard to imagine the situation in a country where you've never been.
 
You know it is dark times when the trees riot. I think this tiny ad is their leader:
Food Forest Card Game - Game Forum
https://permies.com/t/61704/Food-Forest-Card-Game-Game
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic