In an effort to have less plastic in my life, I've been keeping a glass bottle for drinking water in the car. It's been great. Until the algae showed up.
So I want to clean the glass. I suppose I could go buy a bottle brush ... I thought there might be a really simple way to get it out of there that I could do periodically without having to own yet one more thing.
I boiled a bit of water and put that in there. Well, it probably killed all the algae, but it is still in three.
I put a bit of hydrogen peroxide in there - it didn't fizz.
I put a bit of applecider vinegar in there overnight - it seems the same.
maybe you could try vinegar and baking soda? that ought to fizz real well and be pretty cool anyhow as a more permanent solution maybe you need to consider a drinking container that is dark so that there isn't enough sun to getl algae to grow, or ....at least then you wouldn't see the algae if it did grow!
Fill the bottle with hot, soapy water and let sit for a few minutes to soften/loosen the crapola.
Dump out all but 1/4 to 1/3 of the hot soapy water.
Add a couple of spoonsful of dry, uncooked, non-instant rice and shake vigorously.
Rinse well and inspect closely. Repeat if necessary.
A tip for deodorizing stinky plastic containers with lids, like Tupperware. As crazy as it sounds, it really seems to work on everything I've tried, like the really gross tuna sandwich that sat in the car trunk in CA in summer for a couple of weeks.
Wash the container thoroughly with hot, soapy water. Get a piece of regular black/white newspaper and wet it, crumple a bit (not into a hard, tight wad), place inside the container and seal with it's own lid, place in direct sunlight all day. Remove newspaper, wash again, sniff. I did have to do it twice for the tuna sandwich...
posted 11 years ago
This works very well for me:
very coarse salt some rubbing alcohol
Shake hard, dump, and repeat as necessary, finally rinse well.
If there's algae in your water bottle, there's too much nitrate in your water. Any time we discover a new 'font' of water, we fill up a bottle, leave it out in the sun for a couple of weeks, and if it turns green we assume that there's too much nitrate, and possibly other crap, in it and don't go back there for water.