• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies living kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • raven ranson
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • paul wheaton
  • Devaka Cooray
stewards:
  • Burra Maluca
  • Miles Flansburg
  • Julia Winter
garden masters:
  • Dave Burton
  • Anne Miller
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Mark Tudor
  • Pearl Sutton

What's the point of it all if they're just going to poison you?  RSS feed

 
Posts: 1451
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
45
bee chicken duck forest garden greening the desert homestead kids pig
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So, this could be a long story but I'm going to try not to do that.

Basically we live on 40 acres on a section divided into said acreage lots. All the other sections around us are wheat fields. We're in the middle of oil drilling. In fact they just drilled on the section next to us. Now we are on one corner of this section and on the opposite corner someone moved in and tried to set up an electronic waste recycling plant. It didn't work out and they eventually went to jail (though for something unrelated). They accumulated acres of electronics first and it's been sitting outside in the rain for years and years. DEQ will do nothing about it.

Fast forward to my husbands lab. It's changing to testing drinking water from what it did before. As they develop their methodology and stuff my husband has been taking random samples from where ever we go. Church, Parents houses, school, our house, etc.

None of those samples turned up anything except....ours. Our house shows hexavalent chromium in the water.

So here I have been busy trying to be the best permie I can be and I've been watering everything, including my animals and children, with poison.

And yes, I know it could be a false positive and such. We will be doing more official testing and testing our neighbors as well to see what is going on here.

For the first time in my life I'm feeling defeated. I've been beat.
 
pollinator
Posts: 10274
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
349
cat chicken fiber arts fish forest garden greening the desert trees wood heat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oh how horrible! I'm so sorry elle!  
 
gardener
Posts: 2307
Location: Fraser River Headwaters, Zone3, Lat: 53N, Altitude 2750', Boreal/Temperate Rainforest-transition
285
bike books food preservation forest garden fungi hugelkultur solar trees woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I could not remember hearing about hexavalent chromium before, so I looked it up, and then I remembered.  Scary stuff.  Sad for you, Elle.  Wish I had better things to say.  Perhaps you'll have to go all Erin Brockovich or something on somebody to get something done about it.  Good luck either way with whatever you and your husband end up doing.    
 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1451
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
45
bee chicken duck forest garden greening the desert homestead kids pig
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Roberto pokachinni wrote:I could not remember hearing about hexavalent chromium before, so I looked it up, and then I remembered.  Scary stuff.  Sad for you, Elle.  Wish I had better things to say.  Perhaps you'll have to go all Erin Brockovich or something on somebody to get something done about it.  Good luck either way with whatever you and your husband end up doing.    



Somewhat ironically I work as a paralegal. :D
 
pollinator
Posts: 168
Location: Australia, Canberra
47
bee books dog fish forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Oil drilling one side, electronic waste the other.

Time to sell and move. Maybe you can generate some money by selling to an oil company. I know it is not ethical but somebody will do it for sure.

You can fight with them but that will destroy your life you are trying to live.

It is only hexavalent chromium at the moment, once that electronic waste starts to break down to the core and leach god knows what to the aquifer, what is gonna happen.

 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1451
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
45
bee chicken duck forest garden greening the desert homestead kids pig
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Gurkan Yeniceri wrote:Oil drilling one side, electronic waste the other.

Time to sell and move. Maybe you can generate some money by selling to an oil company. I know it is not ethical but somebody will do it for sure.

You can fight with them but that will destroy your life you are trying to live.

It is only hexavalent chromium at the moment, once that electronic waste starts to break down to the core and leach god knows what to the aquifer, what is gonna happen.



You're preaching to the choir on that electronic waste. I fought a bitter battle against them. I know what is in all that garbage and it has been a worry.

How could I sell this place when I would have to disclose the poisoning of the water supply. Without water this land is worth nearly nothing.
 
gardener
Posts: 2481
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
449
books food preservation hunting solar trees woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Isn't it better to sell it while disclosing the issue (assuming the test is official and all that) than it is to live there and drink poison until you die?  The water won't get any better so it will only get harder to sell.  Come live somewhere with lots of natural water and no oil wells (wooded portions of MN, WI, MI, NY and New England to name a few).  

As Gurkan suggested, oil companies won't care about your water test.  Probably neither will the wheat farmers...
 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1451
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
45
bee chicken duck forest garden greening the desert homestead kids pig
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Jay wrote:Isn't it better to sell it while disclosing the issue (assuming the test is official and all that) than it is to live there and drink poison until you die?  The water won't get any better so it will only get harder to sell.  Come live somewhere with lots of natural water and no oil wells (wooded portions of MN, WI, MI, NY and New England to name a few).  

As Gurkan suggested, oil companies won't care about your water test.  Probably neither will the wheat farmers...



The blessing with the wheat is that while it's mono-cropped to death, it's organic. Basically there is so little profit in winter wheat farming in WY they don't spray it with anything.



Where we are, it has family. ALL the family and we have big families. So while I wouldn't mind moving to another state, exactly, taking my kids (and let's face it, us) from a big, loving, active family would be devastating as well.
 
Mike Jay
gardener
Posts: 2481
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
449
books food preservation hunting solar trees woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, fair enough, I understand the family thing.  But you can still move off of the toxic piece of land to somewhere in the neighboring area.  Maybe it could even further your permaculture dreams.  Or give you a different challenge but one that's within your control.

I still think "Get out while the gettin's good (or at least fair)"
 
elle sagenev
Posts: 1451
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
45
bee chicken duck forest garden greening the desert homestead kids pig
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Jay wrote:Ok, fair enough, I understand the family thing.  But you can still move off of the toxic piece of land to somewhere in the neighboring area.  Maybe it could even further your permaculture dreams.  Or give you a different challenge but one that's within your control.

I still think "Get out while the gettin's good (or at least fair)"



I'm not against that. We've looked. It's hard though if you're trying to avoid oil. We know of a few places that weren't drilled because they had nothing. I suppose we just have to wait for something to open up.
 
No prison can hold Chairface Chippendale. And on a totally different topic ... my stuff:
Wild Homesteading - Work with nature to grow food and start/build your homestead
https://permies.com/t/96779/Wild-Homesteading-Work-nature-grow
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!