I built my RMH using the Dragon Heater 6" Castle components and design. I followed the build exactly to specs yet after several burns, I am extremely disappointed with it's operation. I'm just not getting temperatures that were claimed by Dragon Heaters nor the draft, especially when it's windy outside. I've spent a lot of money on this and so far, I've found it to be a 3,000 lb pile of crap in my home. I really need to get this operating effectively and efficiently as I was planning on this being my only heat source. Any help would be appreciated and please go easy on me, this is my second build and I was hoping to rely on a proven design.
6" burn chamber: Dragon Heater shippable core lined with perlite and fire blanket, inside 13" x 18" clay flue pipes
1st bell: 18"x18" clay flue pipes lined with fire brick
2nd bell: 18"x18" clay flue pipes, no lining
3rd smaller bell for flue exhaust: 13"x13" clay flue pipe with 6" flue
6" steel flue pipe: exits vertically 9', 15 degrees for 4' through the 16" thick brick walls in my home, 4' vertically outside
After a 4-6 hour burn at night (burning primarily douglas fir), here are my temps (Fahrenheit):
Top of burn chamber inside: 230
Top of 1st bell inside: 200
Outside of 2nd bell: 105
In the morning, the unit is still giving off some heat but nothing that can be noticed. Most of the heat is still in the burn chamber and temps are around 90.
On a windy day, I get a lot of back draft, flue temps won't get over 100 and I have to use a flue fan to create draft (even that doesn't prevent backdraft)
Modifications that I've done:
Added 1"-1.5" faux stone, a concrete product
Flue fan to increase draft but may be sucking all the heat out of the RMH
Damper to close off when the fire burns out