M Broussard wrote: At this point, I determined that perhaps knit fabrics were not the best option for this job, and researched historical undergarments made with wovens.
I ran across a pattern for Edwardian cycling bloomers and thought--aha! This is what I was looking for!
Zoe Ward wrote:
Any chance you could share the pattern and mods, I'd be interested in trying to make a pair of these!
There are some people whose waistlines change on a monthly cycle basis - so by putting several buttons on the waistband, the size would be adjustable up and down as needed.
M Broussard wrote: The great thing is that with a button and button hole at the waistband like this, you can just move the button if you need an increase or decrease in waist size -- a very easy modification.
M Broussard wrote:I haven't purchased underwear for myself since 2013. When it started wearing out, I spent some time searching for a 100% natural fibre alternative, which proved to be very difficult! I tried several versions of underwear in the above bikini-style made of old cotton t-shirts, but I found that, without elastic, it wasn't too long before they sagged and started trying to fall off my hips while in use. I went through versions of the same with a drawstring, but ran into trouble with the drawstring snapping while out and about, and the crotch eventually sagging out as well. At this point, I determined that perhaps knit fabrics were not the best option for this job, and researched historical undergarments made with wovens.
I ran across a pattern for Edwardian cycling bloomers and thought--aha! This is what I was looking for! I cut out all the lacy frilly bits, and cut the length substantially, and they work great. I made my first pair back in 2017 out of the edges of an old, threadbare bedsheet, and it only just wore out. This pair of underwear was made to replace it. The fabric is 100% cotton muslin, and the thread is cotton. The buttons are re-used vintage buttons I've collected over the years. They work great under pants, shorts, etc, and by modifying the number and placement of darts, the same pattern works for my partner also.
Jay Angler wrote:I'm going to take the plunge. I got one too many pairs of underwear that wasn't up to my comfort and quality standards, so I used a couple of 100% cotton T-shirts that had damage that made them unusable, but still had plenty of good fabric. My machine doesn't do stretch stitch well, so I sewed them all by hand with cotton thread using a stretch stitch video that was posted here on permies. My local favorite fabric shop has "cotton elastic for swimsuits" - but I still encased it and only used it at the waist - I used the knit edging around the neckline to give a little stretch to the leg holes. I've finished 3 pairs and am working on a 4th and I'm using them exclusively unless the laundry gets backed up and I'm forced to use an old pair.
So the first pair was made from a disassembled pair that was worn out. The problem was that it had warped from use, so before I made the second pair, I used it to design a paper pattern.
Too many men are afraid of being fools - Henry Ford. Foolish tiny ad:
Explore the possibilities: Permies.com where you can work from home, on the road and on the farmhttps://permies.com/wiki/209054/Explore-possibilities-Permies-work-home