• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • jordan barton
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Leigh Tate
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Greg Martin
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • Jay Angler
gardeners:
  • Nancy Reading
  • Mike Barkley
  • Christopher Shepherd
  • Likes 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
July 11th-24th, 2021
Near Missoula, Montana

SKIP: Skills to Inherit Property
Skills to Inherit Property homesteading and permaculture skills event

click here for SKIP ticket prices
All tickets are now sold!


About SKIP:

SKIP is a curriculum of experiences you can complete to prove you can do permaculture.  While a PDC  teaches you how to do permaculture design and analysis, SKIP is hands-on.  You are making things.

When you complete several things, you earn a badge.  Sixteen badges will make you PEP1 certified.  After several years of progress, you can be PEP3 or PEP4 certified.  At that point you are basically self-sufficient and can prove it.  Many older homesteaders don't want their property to turn into a strip mall or subdivision.  This program will connect qualified candidates with those landowners so you can skip the rat race and skip the debt.

Feel of the Event:

In this program, you will gain and demonstrate new skills.  It isn't about training, classroom time or lengthy discussion.  It's about pounding out actual projects.  This event will be heavily focused on giving attendees the ability to complete badges.  It's our third event like this.

There will be a guide/facilitator for all the planned work.  The attendees will be focused on a given task for each time slot.  If they complete it quickly, there is time to complete additional badges..  If they want to take their time, that is fine, but they may not complete as many badges during the event.



Daily Schedule

Day 1-3: Woodland Care: Felling trees, peeling and bucking, splitting wood, making a junkpole fence, cleaving shakes
 
Day 4-5: Gardening:   Making a hugelkultur garden, planting, chop and dropping, mulching


OR: (see below)


Day 4-5: Textiles: Sewing, knitting, darning, basket making and twine making
 
Day 6: Animal Care: Bird house, bee house, insect hotel, toad and snake habitat

Day 7: Day Off!

Day 8:  Food Prep and Preservation: water bath canning, vinegar brining, salt brining
 
Day 9:  Foraging:  Harvest berries, mushrooms, greens; dry some for storage, make seed balls
 
Day 10:  Natural Medicine:  Dehydrate herbs, make a salve, poultice, vinegar infusion, oil infusion and water infusion
 
Day 11:  Community:  Brand a location, create public art, create a map
 
Day 12-13:  Earthworks: Make a dry stack retaining wall, make a trail, maintain a trail, use an excavator, improve a berm, use the tractor loader
 
Day 14:  Homesteading:  Trailer backing, make a rock jack


Instructors

Mike Haasl --Instructor
Mike Haasl is a mechanical engineer, woodworker, blacksmith, and permaculture homesteader in northern Wisconsin.  He constructed a sweet greenhouse, builds with pallets and upcycled material, and experiments with compost heat.  He is developing a demonstration site for permaculture homesteading, and collaborating to create the SKIP program.

Paul Wheaton -- Host/Instructor
Paul Wheaton, The Duke of Permaculture, is an author, producer, and certified advanced master gardener. He has created hundreds of youtube videos, hundreds of podcasts, multiple DVDs, and written dozens of articles and a book. As the lead mad scientist at Wheaton Labs, he's conducted experiments resulting in rocket stoves and ovens, massive earthworks, solar dehydrators and much more.

Lara Bigotti -- Event Coordinator
Lara became interested in Permaculture while living and teaching English in Japan. She worked on an organic vegetable farm in her hometown for two years after returning to the U.S., and then fulfilled her longtime dream of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. After participating in Wheaton Labs Bootcamp in September 2020, she returned to Missoula in February 2021 to take on the role of Event Coordinator and Rental Manager for Wheaton Labs. She is excited to learn more about gardening, natural medicine, photography & videography, and building.

Josiah Kobernik -- Instructor
Josiah cobbled together a diverse background in commercial agriculture, horticulture, market gardening, raising livestock, homesteading, and other general build/fix skills before landing at Wheaton Labs in 2019. Since moving to the labs, he has taken to working with roundwood timber framing, earthen plasters, videography, rocket contraptions, and any other inventions he can get his hands on

Jennifer Richardson --Instructor
Jennifer Richardson is a former cattle rancher and current resident of Wheaton Labs. She is participating in the boot camp and living in Allerton Abbey, the first wofati, in order to test the thermal inertia of the structure.

Fred Tyler -- Instructor
Fred has lead the Bootcamp at Wheaton Labs for three years now. He's directed and taught skills ranging from organic gardening to woodworking to natural building.

Melody Rothwell -- Chef
Melody Rothwell is an avid and creative cook, a world traveler, a free spirit, and a connector of people. She is an apprentice herbalist and yoga teacher, a life coach, & an Enneagram and Human Design practitioner. When she's not experimenting in the kitchen you can find her nerding out reading books on fermentation, learning to forage, and spending time outside. She's excited for the opportunity to bring her love of food and community to Wheaton Labs this summer.



Tickets

Work Trades for Permaculture Technology Jamboree, PDC, and SKIP
Work a 7 weeks in Bootcamp for a ticket to SKIP!

click here for SKIP ticket prices
[size=24]All tickets are now sold!

COMMENTS:
 
Posts: 40
6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

Looking for guidance please.

My wife and I have to decided to buy some land (north central New Mexico) to build a WOFATI home along with hugelkultur growing. With winter coming, we plan on starting spring 2021. We are neophytes and are excited to learn. Which of the Workshops offered would you recommend, as we are no spring chickens and are eager to get started before the time comes when we can't enjoy the work and fruits of our labor? The Permaculture Design Course, Permaculture Technology Jamboree or, the SKIP: Skills to Inherit Property? One of us could attend one Workshop and the other another.

In the interim, we've been reading and watching a lot of videos.

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Thank you,

Bruce Katlin
brucekatlin@gmail.com
bruce@brucekatlincreates.com
575-224-2135
 
steward
Posts: 17988
Location: Pacific Northwest
8439
7
hugelkultur kids cat duck forest garden foraging fiber arts sheep wood heat homestead
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You can actually attend both events for a discounted price!

There's a Super Early Bird Price until September 20th (man, that's getting close! I should send out a dailyish about it!). And, there's a discount for doing two events.

All the prices are on the Wheaton Labs website (https://wheaton-labs.com/skip/#tickets), and right now for the PTJ and SKIP, it's 1,500 (regular price is $2,400). I'm pretty sure you could get this discounted price even if one of you attends one event, and the other the other event.

I haven't been to either course (I have little kids and live far away!), but those two courses go along very well and compliment each other. They are actually made so that--if you want to--you could get your PEP1 certification at the event. Or, you could spend your time at the PTJ (Permaculture Technology Jamboree) gaining the specific skills you really want. Both events are very open--you can chose each day what you want to learn about and be a part of.

Another thing you can do is work through the "Badge Bits" here on permies. I learned a lot of roundwood woodworking skills by just going through the Round wood Badge Bits that I felt comfortable.

If you learn what Badge Bits/Badges you can at home, you'll have an even better feel for what you want to learn at the events. You can see what's covered at the PTJ HERE. Since the PTJ is less structured, you might find that there are things your wife might want to learn while you learn other things at the same events.

For example, there's a "Homesteading Track" at the PTJ that covers:

make a bird house, insect hotel, snake and toad habitat
make a hugelkultur garden
hot water bath canning
fermenting
pickling
foraging
harvest and eat wild edibles
harvest and preserve natural medicine: comfrey poultice, dried mullein leaves, and more!
make public art and branding a location
textiles: sewing, darning, crochet, basket weaving, making twine
using rocket stoves, rocket ovens, and rocket water heaters
everyone who wants to can drive the excavator



Perhaps one of you is more interested in food preservation and will spend a lot of days doing that, and some days in a different track (for example, one day in the homesteading track, they might do crochetting, and you don't care to learn that. So you go over to the Wood and Cob track and learn how to work with cob).

While one person is learning those skills, the other might be learning roundwood timber framing and how to make rocket stoves.

The Permaculture Technology Jamboree was especially made with couples in mind, so that both could come and learn what was interesting to each.





The Permaculture Design Course does cover alternative energy and natural building, but not nearly as much as the PTJ. And since you're wanting to make a WOFATI, you might be more interested in the how-to skills in the PTJ or SKIP event. The PDC is great for learning design and is super handy. It might be the person who is more interested in building attends the PTJ, while the one more interested in food production attends the PDC.

The price for PDC+PTJ is $1,600. The stand-alone price for the PDC or PTJ is $920.

 
Bruce Katlin
Posts: 40
6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nicole Alderman wrote:You can actually attend both events for a discounted price!

There's a Super Early Bird Price until September 20th (man, that's getting close! I should send out a dailyish about it!). And, there's a discount for doing two events.

All the prices are on the Wheaton Labs website (https://wheaton-labs.com/skip/#tickets), and right now for the PTJ and SKIP, it's 1,500 (regular price is $2,400). I'm pretty sure you could get this discounted price even if one of you attends one event, and the other the other event.

I haven't been to either course (I have little kids and live far away!), but those two courses go along very well and compliment each other. They are actually made so that--if you want to--you could get your PEP1 certification at the event. Or, you could spend your time at the PTJ (Permaculture Technology Jamboree) gaining the specific skills you really want. Both events are very open--you can chose each day what you want to learn about and be a part of.

Another thing you can do is work through the "Badge Bits" here on permies. I learned a lot of roundwood woodworking skills by just going through the Round wood Badge Bits that I felt comfortable.

If you learn what Badge Bits/Badges you can at home, you'll have an even better feel for what you want to learn at the events. You can see what's covered at the PTJ HERE. Since the PTJ is less structured, you might find that there are things your wife might want to learn while you learn other things at the same events.

For example, there's a "Homesteading Track" at the PTJ that covers:

make a bird house, insect hotel, snake and toad habitat
make a hugelkultur garden
hot water bath canning
fermenting
pickling
foraging
harvest and eat wild edibles
harvest and preserve natural medicine: comfrey poultice, dried mullein leaves, and more!
make public art and branding a location
textiles: sewing, darning, crochet, basket weaving, making twine
using rocket stoves, rocket ovens, and rocket water heaters
everyone who wants to can drive the excavator



Perhaps one of you is more interested in food preservation and will spend a lot of days doing that, and some days in a different track (for example, one day in the homesteading track, they might do crochetting, and you don't care to learn that. So you go over to the Wood and Cob track and learn how to work with cob).

While one person is learning those skills, the other might be learning roundwood timber framing and how to make rocket stoves.

The Permaculture Technology Jamboree was especially made with couples in mind, so that both could come and learn what was interesting to each.





The Permaculture Design Course does cover alternative energy and natural building, but not nearly as much as the PTJ. And since you're wanting to make a WOFATI, you might be more interested in the how-to skills in the PTJ or SKIP event. The PDC is great for learning design and is super handy. It might be the person who is more interested in building attends the PTJ, while the one more interested in food production attends the PDC.

The price for PDC+PTJ is $1,600. The stand-alone price for the PDC or PTJ is $920.



Nicole,

Thank you so much for explain this!! Going to register as advise. Can't wait to learn!!

Bruce
 
steward
Posts: 11853
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
3283
3
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just a reminder to folks that the Super Early Bird pricing ends in two weeks!!!
 
Nicole Alderman
steward
Posts: 17988
Location: Pacific Northwest
8439
7
hugelkultur kids cat duck forest garden foraging fiber arts sheep wood heat homestead
 
Bruce Katlin
Posts: 40
6
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Registered!!
 
Posts: 34
Location: Minneapolis
31
dog fungi foraging trees urban cooking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey there - I am late to the party but am hoping to sign up for SKIP 2021 today for the Super Early Bird pricing. I won't be able to attend the whole event, I'll have to miss the last three days (my main gig is running a Festival in early August).

Normally, I wouldn't ask this, but COVID has my finances a bit wonky at the moment and I am trying to make things work out. Since I can't attend the entire event, are you in a position to prorate the price? (I know, I know, it's already discounted but I have to ask)

And secondly, is there internet access on site?

Super excited. Thanks for any help!!!

kaitlen
 
Nicole Alderman
steward
Posts: 17988
Location: Pacific Northwest
8439
7
hugelkultur kids cat duck forest garden foraging fiber arts sheep wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know if Paul's okay with prorating the price--I'll try to get an answer for you on that.

But! I can tell you that there is internet access on site, both on Paul's wifi, as well as through cellphones if you have a data plan for that.
 
Kaitlen Osburn
Posts: 34
Location: Minneapolis
31
dog fungi foraging trees urban cooking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks so much Nicole!
 
master steward
Posts: 35629
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The price is already a bare bones discount.  No further discounts.  
 
Kaitlen Osburn
Posts: 34
Location: Minneapolis
31
dog fungi foraging trees urban cooking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Paul!
 
Posts: 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are the tickets to SKIP transferable to a future event if someone buys one but ends up unable to attend?
 
paul wheaton
master steward
Posts: 35629
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Megan Meigs wrote:Are the tickets to SKIP transferable to a future event if someone buys one but ends up unable to attend?



Maybe.  I guess it depends on the full story.   I think I need to officially say "no", but when the time comes I could see some scenarios:   like if the covids go wacky and we cancel the event, we might do that.  
 
Kaitlen Osburn
Posts: 34
Location: Minneapolis
31
dog fungi foraging trees urban cooking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy - I filled out the google form a few months ago re: lodging; but need to change my answers. Should I just fill the form out again? THANKS!
 
Nicole Alderman
steward
Posts: 17988
Location: Pacific Northwest
8439
7
hugelkultur kids cat duck forest garden foraging fiber arts sheep wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Kaitlen Osburn wrote:Howdy - I filled out the google form a few months ago re: lodging; but need to change my answers. Should I just fill the form out again? THANKS!



There may be some magical way to change answers on a google form, but I'm totally not familiar enough with google forms to know it. Go ahead and fill it out again, and I'll update our records. Thank you!!!
 
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I’m a little confused, is this a program to link like minded individuals or a program that I pay to improve your ranch? Your kick starter campaign made it seem like you wanted to link qualified individuals to land owners but so far I all I see is paying to work for you? Not trying to sound like a jerk but something seems off.
 
Mike Haasl
steward
Posts: 11853
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
3283
3
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The SKIP program in general is a pathway for people to build skills in homesteading and permaculture with the hopes of finding connections with people who have land and need a steward for that land.  

You can build these skills at home, on your own.  You can pay someone to come to your house and teach you skills.  You can go to a place that is having a workshop to teach the skills.  Or in this case you can pay to go to an event where they have the tools and equipment for you to demonstrate a lot of skills with a bit of guidance.  
 
T Walker
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Haasl wrote:The SKIP program in general is a pathway for people to build skills in homesteading and permaculture with the hopes of finding connections with people who have land and need a steward for that land.  

You can build these skills at home, on your own.  You can pay someone to come to your house and teach you skills.  You can go to a place that is having a workshop to teach the skills.  Or in this case you can pay to go to an event where they have the tools and equipment for you to demonstrate a lot of skills with a bit of guidance.  



But there is no way to directly communicate with land owners? Is there an actual pool of land owners seeking stewards or are you just hoping to stimulate this relationship through classes? I understand the need for classes but if there isn’t an actual list of land owners you can connect the students with then it’s pretty misleading, at a minimum.
 
Mike Haasl
steward
Posts: 11853
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
3283
3
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There is a list of land owners.  No you can't look at it.  Usually when an land owner says they have land, they are inundated by people saying "Oh Oh, give it to me!" and then they wish they hadn't said anything.

This program never said it would match you with a land owner.  It just gives you the means to prove you have the skills that they might respect and appreciate.  College also doesn't match you with a job, it just gives you the means to prove that you might be worth employing.
 
T Walker
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Haasl wrote:There is a list of land owners.  No you can't look at it.  Usually when an land owner says they have land, they are inundated by people saying "Oh Oh, give it to me!" and then they wish they hadn't said anything.

This program never said it would match you with a land owner.  It just gives you the means to prove you have the skills that they might respect and appreciate.  College also doesn't match you with a job, it just gives you the means to prove that you might be worth employing.



To be clear I would not ask for personal information over the internet. I just wanted to confirm there is an actual networking aspect to the program because you do claim “This program will connect qualified candidates with those landowners so you can skip the rat race and skip the debt.”
Now that we have established there is a networking aspect; is there a forum to post a cv, detailed project reports, videos to accomplished projects that these land owners can view or is the only way to network through the class?
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I feel like this is coming across roughly but I’m trying to speak clearly and plainly to limit confusion.
 
Nicole Alderman
steward
Posts: 17988
Location: Pacific Northwest
8439
7
hugelkultur kids cat duck forest garden foraging fiber arts sheep wood heat homestead
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

T Walker wrote:

Mike Haasl wrote:There is a list of land owners.  No you can't look at it.  Usually when an land owner says they have land, they are inundated by people saying "Oh Oh, give it to me!" and then they wish they hadn't said anything.

This program never said it would match you with a land owner.  It just gives you the means to prove you have the skills that they might respect and appreciate.  College also doesn't match you with a job, it just gives you the means to prove that you might be worth employing.



To be clear I would not ask for personal information over the internet. I just wanted to confirm there is an actual networking aspect to the program because you do claim “This program will connect qualified candidates with those landowners so you can skip the rat race and skip the debt.”
Now that we have established there is a networking aspect; is there a forum to post a cv, detailed project reports, videos to accomplished projects that these land owners can view or is the only way to network through the class?
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I feel like this is coming across roughly but I’m trying to speak clearly and plainly to limit confusion.



There's a whole section here on permies devoted to SKIP. You can see all the SKIP threads here: https://permies.com/c/skip

Every person who's completed SKIP badges or badge bits, has their own badge log that can be located in their profile. For example, here is mine: https://permies.com/forums/meritBB/profile/167341

So, if a landowner is wanting to inspect the work of a SKIP candidate, they can go to their profile and find links to ALL of the badge bit activities they've done. Maybe the landowner will be impressed and contact that person. Maybe the landowner will look at their Badge Bits s and think, "Wow, this person just barely met the qualifications on these activities, I think I'll pass them by."

If all these Badge, "Badge Bit" (BB), SKIP, PEP, etc terms are a bit confusing (and we understand that it can be!), there's a thread I made that hopefully explains all of them:All about SKIP, PEP, Badges, BBs and More!

Now that we have established there is a networking aspect; is there a forum to post a cv, detailed project reports, videos to accomplished projects that these land owners can view or is the only way to network through the class?



If someone takes a class, like the Wheaton Labs SKIP event this summer, they still need to come and post their pictures and get certified here on permies. I've completed over 80 badge bits, but never took a class. So, someone could definitely get certified without ever attending a class. But, some skills (like cooking on rocket stoves or building a 7 foot tall hugelkulture garden bed, or driving an excavator) might be hard to do if they do not have access to those things. For those, people, coming to an event or class might be a really good way to round out the rest of the skills that they couldn't easily get on their own property/apartment/etc.

I hope that helps!
 
Mike Haasl
steward
Posts: 11853
Location: Northern WI (zone 4)
3283
3
hunting trees books food preservation solar woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The networking, cvs and opportunities to post your accomplishments are here on permies.com.  Each PEP pursuant gets their accomplishments displayed as badges under their posts (see all my pretty badges below).  Participants also have a link in their profile that takes the viewer to a list of their accomplished skills (Example).  You can create a thread here on permies to show off how awesome you are.  

The class doesn't have too much networking unless the moons and stars align.  Maybe a landowner is at a class?  Maybe a landowner is on site for other reasons?  But it's unlikely.  The classes/events are just ways to demonstrate lots of skills in a short period of time.  Especially if you don't have an excavator at home.
 
Nicole Alderman
steward
Posts: 17988
Location: Pacific Northwest
8439
7
hugelkultur kids cat duck forest garden foraging fiber arts sheep wood heat homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Mike Haasl wrote:The networking, cvs and opportunities to post your accomplishments are here on permies.com.  Each PEP pursuant gets their accomplishments displayed as badges under their posts (see all my pretty badges below).  Participants also have a link in their profile that takes the viewer to a list of their accomplished skills (Example).  You can create a thread here on permies to show off how awesome you are.  



Note, if you are on a mobile device, you likely cannot see the PEP/SKIP badges unless you scroll to the bottom and click the link to "desktop view." Mobile view does not have the badges installed yet, sadly.

Mike is actually a great example of someone who has gotten PEP1 certified. He did a lot of the work at home, and came to an event at Wheaton Labs to knock out the last few badges he needed to knock out to finish his certification.
 
T Walker
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nicole Alderman wrote:

T Walker wrote:

Mike Haasl wrote:There is a list of land owners.  No you can't look at it.  Usually when an land owner says they have land, they are inundated by people saying "Oh Oh, give it to me!" and then they wish they hadn't said anything.

This program never said it would match you with a land owner.  It just gives you the means to prove you have the skills that they might respect and appreciate.  College also doesn't match you with a job, it just gives you the means to prove that you might be worth employing.



To be clear I would not ask for personal information over the internet. I just wanted to confirm there is an actual networking aspect to the program because you do claim “This program will connect qualified candidates with those landowners so you can skip the rat race and skip the debt.”
Now that we have established there is a networking aspect; is there a forum to post a cv, detailed project reports, videos to accomplished projects that these land owners can view or is the only way to network through the class?
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I feel like this is coming across roughly but I’m trying to speak clearly and plainly to limit confusion.



There's a whole section here on permies devoted to SKIP. You can see all the SKIP threads here: https://permies.com/c/skip

Every person who's completed SKIP badges or badge bits, has their own badge log that can be located in their profile. For example, here is mine: https://permies.com/forums/meritBB/profile/167341

So, if a landowner is wanting to inspect the work of a SKIP candidate, they can go to their profile and find links to ALL of the badge bit activities they've done. Maybe the landowner will be impressed and contact that person. Maybe the landowner will look at their Badge Bits s and think, "Wow, this person just barely met the qualifications on these activities, I think I'll pass them by."

If all these Badge, "Badge Bit" (BB), SKIP, PEP, etc terms are a bit confusing (and we understand that it can be!), there's a thread I made that hopefully explains all of them:All about SKIP, PEP, Badges, BBs and More!

Now that we have established there is a networking aspect; is there a forum to post a cv, detailed project reports, videos to accomplished projects that these land owners can view or is the only way to network through the class?



If someone takes a class, like the Wheaton Labs SKIP event this summer, they still need to come and post their pictures and get certified here on permies. I've completed over 80 badge bits, but never took a class. So, someone could definitely get certified without ever attending a class. But, some skills (like cooking on rocket stoves or building a 7 foot tall hugelkulture garden bed, or driving an excavator) might be hard to do if they do not have access to those things. For those, people, coming to an event or class might be a really good way to round out the rest of the skills that they couldn't easily get on their own property/apartment/etc.

I hope that helps!


Thanks Nicole this was exactly what I was looking for and should be in the skip faq page for the skip kickstarter. Thank you Mike and Nicole for taking the time to clear things up.
 
pioneer
Posts: 189
Location: SF Bay, California Zone 10b
88
forest garden fungi foraging cooking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello! I'm not sure where to ask this, I sent an email too.  Are any of the accommodations outside of camping still available during the SKIP event? I'm okay with camping too, but I'd like to know what's available.

I also would like to know about the logistics of the event. I read on permies that I could pay to get someone to pick me up from the airport. Are the accommodations at Wheaton labs close enough to the SKIP event that I can get there everyday without a car?

Thanks for putting this on, I really like the concept. It's hard to learn a lot of this stuff living in a city.
 
pollinator
Posts: 101
Location: Montana
162
2
cat fungi books
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Malek Ascha wrote:Hello! I'm not sure where to ask this, I sent an email too.  Are any of the accommodations outside of camping still available during the SKIP event? I'm okay with camping too, but I'd like to know what's available.

I also would like to know about the logistics of the event. I read on permies that I could pay to get someone to pick me up from the airport. Are the accommodations at Wheaton labs close enough to the SKIP event that I can get there everyday without a car?

Thanks for putting this on, I really like the concept. It's hard to learn a lot of this stuff living in a city.



Hey Malek, thank you for posting! I'm Lara, the event coordinator.
I can definitely answer your questions for you. Could you email me at lara@richsoil.com? That way I'll have your email address and we can chat!

I think others may be curious about the distance thing -- accommodations at Wheaton Labs are basically at the event, and we'll have shuttles going between basecamp and the off-grid bit of WL, which may be too long for some people to walk.

Look forward to talking to you soon.
 
I'm tired of walking, and will rest for a minute and grow some wheels. This is the promise of this tiny ad:
Pre-order for "Tour of Wheaton Labs, the Movie!"
https://permies.com/w/tour
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic