Fox James

Rocket Scientist
+ Follow
since May 30, 2018
Merit badge: bb list bbv list
For More
Guernsey a small island near France.
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
In last 30 days
16
Forums and Threads

Recent posts by Fox James

I have built J tubes that allow you to see the fire from three directions ……
5 days ago
Well unfortunately it would have to be high temperature cement board, the one I use is rated to 1200 c.
1 week ago
Still finding small improvements…..
1 week ago
Well the vortex thingy is in fact used on many of the batchbox designs but is not always visible. I have in fact also built a J tube with a visible vortex.
Yes I will be cooking on the top glass, I have used a rotisserie and a oven (and both together) I have only recently installed this particular stove but I have  many videos on the forum showing how the style of rocket stove is built and how I have cooked on them.
2 weeks ago
Hi folks, I recently built a fresh new stove with a few upgrades.
I have since added two glass panels in the sides to allow more heat out of the box and less heat up the chimney.
The real game changer was the expansion space after the vortex, since that was established last year, the air feed has become almost irrelevant as it just works with any directional air supply or just with the door wide open.
The down drafting however has changed things as the added back pressure has slowed the burn down considerably.
I need to do a lot more testing over the next few weeks as we are still experiencing 22-25c daytime and 17 night time air temperatures.

.
2 weeks ago
Hi Mark, searching forums via google is normally much more successful than using the  forum search engine.
In any case this is one of the most popular threads ever posted on this forum and I think it may interest you…..
https://permies.com/t/122458/Advice-RMH-build-Hokkaido-Japan
5 months ago
Very simple construction and very hot.
6 months ago
I would suggest you find out if vermiculite board is available where you live, if so you can build a super efficient rocket hot plate stove in a few hours and it will fit inside an barrel if you want.
If you build a 4” J tube to my design, it will be easy to move around or store inside.
I have plenty of build videos on my YouTube channel.
6 months ago
Have you done any revision about the internal temperatures inside your bell?
Apart from the very top 8-12”  you might not need to worry about  expansion or high temperature cement.
In any case you can use the standard pizza oven cement mix called ‘home brew’
3 Parts Silica Sand
1 Part Portland Cement
1 Part Fire Clay (powdered)
1 Part Hydrated Lime
This is cheap, very easy to use and good for 4-500c
7 months ago