Derek Thille

gardener
+ Follow
since Apr 05, 2022
Merit badge: bb list bbv list
Biography
I trained in electrical engineering and computer science and made a pivot to financial services.  When I had scads of time during the 2020 lockdown, I started digging into food and nutrition, which led me to permaculture.  I took a PDC in 2022/2023 and have been working on implementing what I learned on our acreage in southern Manitoba.  Happily I married well and she supports these efforts financially and with labour.  We do hope to retire to the property, so getting it set up well will be nice. 

We had the privilege of spending nearly a week at Wheaton Labs as SEPPers in September 2024 and met the Duke (Paul the large hobbit), High Commander Stephen, as well as Ben and Chris (Boots at the time) and Ringer Jennifer.  It was a great week of learning and sharing.  I would highly recommend taking it in if you can.
For More
Southern Manitoba...bald(ish) prairie, zone 3ish
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
In last 30 days
2
Forums and Threads

Recent posts by Derek Thille

It makes absolute sense that you can't become wealthy financially by spending more than you bring in.  Arguably the overconsumption of recent decades may be part of the driver behind the gig economy (spend too much so need to find additional sources of income) and the seeming increase in "get more money now" ideas / schemes.

I have to admit I'd never heard of the "underconsumption core" trend.  

I think it is absolutely true that Gertitude involves frugality.  Frugal doesn't necessarily imply "cheap", but a level of value - if I'm exchanging money for a thing, I definitely want something of value that will last.  The funny thing is that if you looked in our closets and day to day life, aside from having nice (but not ostentatious) vehicles, people would generally have difficulty guessing our net worth or amount of savings.
I recently took in a live demonstration on auto camping from a century ago and chatted with the fellow afterward.  He said that it is the weave of old canvas being so tight that makes it waterproof, yet many people have put on "stuff" to seal or waterproof the canvas.  In many cases, that caused issues for the canvas (whether cracking or degradation in some other form) that ultimately led to it becoming less waterproof.

I have been granted stewardship of an early auto tent, so was keen to learn from this gentleman.  His demonstration included a 1927 trailer that was an early tent trailer (including Model T axle and wheels for running gear) and a number of camp items like folding chairs and similar.  I found it fascinating being an old car guy and former boy scout.
2 weeks ago

Victor Johanson wrote:Good points. I don't harvest the ones growing under trees; they're strictly companion plants. Valerian will grow tall and poke up into the tree; mind can top 8' here in Fairbanks. They bloom a little late here, during a time when most nectar/pollen sources are spent, so it's nice to have something to fill that niche. Be advised they will aggressively spread.



Agreed...we planted one here years ago and now it's popped up in various spots around the neighbourhood...the main section is competing with day lilies and an aggressive rose.
1 month ago

Jenny Wright wrote:Also we had another seeding surprise us! It's as old as it oldest seedlings and I didn't even notice it flower this spring but it has bright red tiny apples, singly, through the tree that I can see from across my yard. Unfortunately the peel is very, very bitter. Completely unpalatable. Like I'm spitting and gagging it's so bitter! The inside is sweet but it's so tiny, there isn't anything really to salvage. I'll keep trying them too but it isn't a pleasant experiment.



I wonder if those might be better pressed, which would leave the peel behind.  That would also make them potentially more useful based on size.
1 month ago
The only comment I would make to Victor's post is that you may not want to put in plants that you may want to dig up for the roots (horseradish and valerian from his list).  Now, if you don't want to harvest those roots, those two are good selections.

Valerian flowers seem to be very good pollinator attractors.  Hollow stems should be valuable for overwintering insects.  They are not that tough though if you have windy conditions and grow quite tall (easily 6' / 2m in our part of the world) and they spread easily by seed.

Horseradish is tough as nails and will form a clump slowly spreading over time.  The leaves are edible as well and should make good mulch.  This is one plant that I wouldn't be concerned about if I wanted to walk over it to harvest apples.
1 month ago
Yes, Manitoba maples can be tapped - St. Pierre Jolys Museum holds a sugaring off festival each spring.  The community taps over 200 maples and is planting more around the town.  They sell out of syrup each year...I've never managed to get any.

That said, to get enough sap, you need to have enough mature trees to be able to tap to boil down for syrup.  Planting trees for this purpose may very well prove to be an intergenerational plan.
1 month ago

Thekla McDaniels wrote:Box elder trees aka Manitoba maple (I think) are ice nucleating bacteria habitat.  Lots of species of plants have been tested, and so far box elders - Acer negundo are the best.



You got the naming right.  In an appropriate environment for it, the tree is almost weedy.  While the wood is not highly valuable for most things (burning, carving, building, etc), it does coppice well.  I understand seeds are edible and, around here at least, if you don't eat them, you may wind up with a forest.
1 month ago
So, the best states to live in all border on Canada...coincidence?  I think not
2 months ago

M Ljin wrote:I had some peach pits sitting in a jar of soil and they haven’t germinated. I am trying cracking the pits, taking out the kernel, and soaking in cold refrigerated water for maybe a week. This technique worked very well for some out-of-season medicinal herb seeds so why not try fruit trees? Supposed to get the germination inhibitors out more easily.



I know a local arborist who has cracked and sprouted apricots, so it ought to work for peaches.
2 months ago

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:

Derek Thille wrote:...

Another example may be urban municipalities shifting roads to more cycling paths / lanes and in some cases reducing or restricting lanes for automobiles.  It can certainly be a positive more if it results in people making a switch from an automobile to using a bicycle from a fuel use perspective.  One consideration is where the money comes from for municipalities to make these changes.  Fuel and road taxes and related charges were ostensibly put in place to pay for roads.  How do municipalities pay for the roads if those revenues are decreased?  There is a sustainability to that question.  However, if few to no automobilists make the shift, have we made changes that will actually increase their fuel use and perhaps created resentment toward cyclists, which could have a negative impact on safety.  

....


I searched Permies for 'bicycles' and this was the first (most recent) post I found.
This is exactly the subject I wanted to tell something about.

I live in the Netherlands and have never been in North America. The Netherlands is famous for being a very bicycle-friendly country (maybe the most bicycle-friendly, but some other European countries are very bicycle-friendly too). It's so very bicycle-friendly that some people from North America moved so they could live here, and they have Youtube channels about the way traffic works here in the Netherlands.  



There are a wide variety of climatic conditions across North America.  Here in the middle of the continent, we spend some time every winter near -30C (sometimes colder but we can always count on hitting that each winter...actual temperature, not wind chill).  There are a few brave souls who do bundle up and venture out on bicycles in those conditions, but they are few and far between.  For those few, we have spent millions in this city on permanent bicycle infrastructure.  This adds wrinkles into winter snow removal, sometimes they ride in automobile lanes, and sometimes they ride on sidewalks.  I'm not sure enough people switched from autos to bicycles to justify the millions of dollars spent.  Additionally, when a lane of auto traffic is removed, the remaining automobiles move less efficiently, so I really have to question whether this is actually reducing emissions or just appeasing activist cyclists.

I would love to have a more "active transportation" friendly environment.  There are neighbourhoods here that don't even have sidewalks so pedestrians are forced onto the streets.  

At one point, I worked downtown, about a mile / 1.6 km from home.  It took me 17 minutes to walk door to door.  It made no sense to me to get in a vehicle, drive, pay for parking, then walk to the office, and turn around and do the reverse.  Driving wouldn't have saved me time and certainly would have cost me more money and I'd have burned fewer calories.