John Fajer wrote:
1. How large is your compost pile?
2. How often, if ever, do you water your compost pile?
3. How frequently do you turn your compost pile?
Hello, interesting to see what everyone is doing. I raise chickens, worms, and garden on my suburban lot, so composting is a big part of the process:
1. I have:
- a 3 ft x 3 ft pile and an Earth Machine composter for chicken manure
- a 3 foot by 5 foot wooden box for garden and yard clippings
- a Worm Factory, a Rubbermaid worm bin, and a box made from a treestump for kitchen scraps.
There are photos on my worm composting website here: Worm Composting Bins
2. I water the open pile about once a month but only in the summer. The challenge in my climate is usually to keep it dry.
3. I turn the open pile about every 3 months. There are few worms in the chicken manure since it is strong. But in the other bins, I have red wiggler worms doing the turning.