Terry Frankeberger

+ Follow
since Sep 17, 2013
Terry likes ...
forest garden rabbit woodworking
West Tennessee
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
1
In last 30 days
0
Total given
0
Likes
Total received
17
Received in last 30 days
0
Total given
2
Given in last 30 days
0
Forums and Threads
Scavenger Hunt
expand First Scavenger Hunt

Recent posts by Terry Frankeberger

This link has more about stirling engines such as the variations and efficiencies.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/stirling_engine.htm
2 years ago
I was en-thrilled to see a youtube video on this (video below). From what i've learned photo-voltaic/solar cells will cap at about 20% of their potential solar energy and the other 80% is in the form of heat. Stirling engines are about 40% to 57% efficient which means that they can harness from 36% to 45% of that potential solar energy. Which is far superior to solar cells.


Along with this I can see making a solar thermal powered water pumps (various designs).

thanks
-tfrankeberger
2 years ago
Thanks Bryan

At a closer look in this link.


I was able to see that you are right, it is a vibration alternator that they use. I am pretty sure that they have to convert it into DC though.

Good point about the intermittent winds being a problem.

Kind Regards
-TFrankeberger

2 years ago
I was thinking of it like a lever with a two axis fulcrum between the collector and the alternator. The alternator would be comprised of a permanent magnet (as the rotor) at the end of the rod hovering over a pancake coil (as the stator). This should produce a near constant voltage and variable frequency alternating current. A simple AC to DC converter should provide a usable and store-able power source.

I realize that this is very simple description but I have not yet explored the options or details.  

Kind Regards
-TFrankeberger
2 years ago
I thought I would share this link.


I have done a little research and think that they would make an excellent DIY project. Easy to build, not very expensive, and low maintenance. The question remains "How much power can it produce"?

Kind regards,
-TFrankeberger
2 years ago
So I found this great video series on you tube explaining how to use nature make soil.

He uses diagrams and even a demonstration to simplify his ideas so most people can understand.

This is the link to the first video.


Enjoy
tfrankeberger


3 years ago
And that would be the end of yet another credit card debt!
3 years ago
So I was inspired recently to build a "fairy house"(for lack of better description) for my garden.

The basic Idea is to add some aesthetics while creating a predator habitat/insect trap for the garden.

Specifically I will take a large log with branching and bore holes into it for hideaways and planting holes (wild flowers, herbs, etc.) and then add decorative details (maybe solar lamps).
Then place it into my garden with some decorative grass behind it.

Not only would it be aesthetic but it will fill several Permie directives. Please feel free to leave comments.
3 years ago
Hi Sandy

I do not know of anyone using a system like the one that I sketched.

My goal here was to make a low cost water powered air compressor. I have since thought of another more efficient way. I am not able to make either of these ideas because (sadly) I do not have a stream on my property.
4 years ago
So I spent last year adding lots of leaf compost (see my other posts) and the results were amazing. I did this so I could go No-Till. But, I was even more amazed two days ago when I was at my garden and realized that I could start planting.
The thing is, that we have just had two consecutive winter storms last month into the beginning of this month. This left the ground soaking wet. I mean mud sticking to your shoes everywhere you go wet. So, I was prepared to have to wait a week or two more. Heck, I was hoping to plant last month so a little longer will be OK right?
So there I was As I stepped into the garden the sloppy wet feeling went away and so did the sucking noises. I look around and noticed a few healthy dark green weeds (ehem pig fodder). checking the soil I found it to be moist but NOT soaked. GREAT news, I can plant!
Just think; if I had to till that dirt last year I would have had a muddy mess, that could not be planted for at-least another week or two. Instead the soil I have this year I am able to work with my hands and get planted earlier than I could have in the past.

So, as the title reads "bravo for No-Till"
-tfrankeberger
4 years ago