just investigating on the toxicity... got me curious ...
I copy you some info I found in the article (link below for more information)
The red clover plant itself is not toxic. The toxin, slaframine, is produced by the Rhizoctonia fungus which grows on clovers and alfalfa during periods of stress (high humidity, drought, and continuous grazing). Hay made from contaminated forages is also suspect, and the slaframine can remain in hay for several years.
red clover is actually a medicinal plant (at least for humans)... very useful for regulating problems with menstruation and menopause.