hello, I'm looking for an experienced farmer to start an organic farm on my property. It's a 50acre plot located in Agoura Hill, CA, 5 mins from the freeway, 45mins from LA.
The land has some flatish area, and a bit of hills. The story behind is that I purchased it in 2012 to build a home on to live, last year, when the house was about 60 percent done, the fire came through and burned down all my progress. Which made me rethink what I wanted to do, and I ended buying a house nearby and things have been good since. Financially I'm fine, so I don't really need to sell the land, and still enjoy visiting. So naturally having a farm on it, seems like a great option.
However this only works with one amazing person to make it all happen, and that is what I'm looking for here. Someone with 5 yo 10 years experience creating and running a farm.
Only serious inquiries please
This is not a property rental situation
This is not a cannabis growing position
4+ references required
Duties & Responsibilities:
Position Overview ~ The Farm manager will be responsible for design, implementation, maintenance and sustainability of the permaculture farm plan along with care taking repsonsabilities of the entire property.
A plan will need to be created with infrastructure, including swales, gardens, fruit & nut trees, greenhouses, ponds, outdoor facilities etc. The position entails developing, managing and maintaining the annual and perennial gardens. Implementing successful micro business models, developing nursery with native and edible perennial plants and managing volunteer help such as woofers.
Roles & Responsibilities ~
Work with the right people to develope a plan for the farm.
Create the team to run the farm.
• Provide daily oversight & management of the execution of farm plan
• Co-ordinate daily schedules and work planning for team
• Research, order, pick-up, plant & care for perennial plants & trees
• Start seedlings & create schedule & implement ongoing annual vegetable production
• Review & improve upon all existing irrigation systems
• Provide oversight & management for all field activities, including, but not limited to irrigation, cultivation and general maintenance of farm/property upkeep
• Lead a weekly meeting to discuss important details & plans for farm
• Maintain accurate inventory of all materials and supplies related to field production activities and general property needs, including, but not limited to: all inputs including seed, tools and supplies etc.
• The ability to oversee multiple projects happening simultaneously with a calm, focused demeanor
• To co-ordinate / manage farm workers, long-term apprentices and woofers
• Care for all animals on a daily basis
• Grounds maintenance, including, but not limited to: , chainsaw work, tractor work, driveway maintenance, irrigation etc
Education & Experience:
Must have extensive education and experience in Permaculture practices, organic farming, regenerative land stewardship and people management.
Please post any questions below, message me with a resume if interested.
For living quarters, we have to start with something temp, like a motor home, as time goes on I may put a small house on the property.
For compensation, it will start with a livable base pay, once it's up and running we would transition to 50% of all profits.
Below is some before and an after photos from now and the fire.
Then the last one is the valley below.... which would probably be the best place to plant.