I posted a different question last week that is somewhat related to this, but now I have more information and so I am creating a new post because I have more information and others may now be able to weigh in more.
I was wondering if anyone had more information or details about the lepiota mushroom and any reputable websites that could give me more info. We found some mushrooms in our yard and I had them sent to a diagnostic identification lab and this is the information I received:
"The specimen received is most likely the mushroom on the genus Lepiota spp or
the lepiotoid group, see http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lepiotoid.html
Lepiotoid mushrooms are hard to identify to species as their group taxonomy
remains convoluted and in flux."
Given that they are not identifying the specific species, I'm trying to learn more about the various kinds of lepiotoid/lepiota mushrooms there are. Specifically, I just want to understand their level of toxicity (i.e., some nausea vs. deadly) and does it vary if it were a some flecks of mushroom vs. a whole mushroom. We do not plan to eat any of them, but I am mostly wondering how concerned I need to be if my toddler were somehow able to accidentally ingest one. (We are vigilant about supervising him, but toddlers test boundaries and I would prefer to know how much we need to avoid the areas of our yard with these mushrooms if they are lethal so he does not test that particular boundary if they could have deadly consequences.) In addition, if there are things we should do to try to get rid of these types of mushrooms, that could also be helpful to learn.
Thank you so much for any of your thoughts and ideas!