Hi, a few questions/concerns, if you please.
General: (for concept understanding)
1) Is a "batch system" a system that has a horizontal fuel feed, unlike the vertical of the "J" system? (if so, is there a benefit of one vs the other?)
2) in a "bell system", "bell" is basically a manifold? You make manifold like things to eliminate ducting? Do you get to eliminate cob as well?? ;)
3) for a J-tube burn, once the kindling and small pieces are going steady, do you just fill the entire box and let it go? Or, do you keep adding as the front line of wood falls?
Been doing a burn every day. Seems to be hit/miss for an easy start. Still perfecting technique. A day on which I feel I have perfected it, is followed by a taxing ignition.
1) I am concerned still by the cool to touch temp. of the second run pipe. I was adding another layer of cob/rock and noticed that this pipe ended up being slightly higher ( yet level) than the first run pipe (due to messing with it at the time of stove pipe attachment), would this create some uneven gradient to cause resistance? OR maybe it just needs to finish drying? (I had a fan on it today).
2) today, the burn resulted in a very smoky chimney exhaust. Very stinky outside. This is something I REALLY (save the earth, clean burn, and I get a headache) want to avoid, so I hope to better understand why this would be so I can do my best to avoid it. I can't think of how I did anything different from my previous burns, except perhaps wood lottery was different. (I have such a varied mix). It definitely was burning slower toward the end today and the last bit of log just took its slow sweet stinky time . I believe green wood can give smoke, but I am fairly confident in my lack of green wood, but of course could be mistaken. Anyways, any thoughts on getting the cleanest, hottest burn possible, would be appreciated!
3) Is there an ideal length of wood? My husband cut most (miter saw) about 13", so they seem to hit and inch or so above the burn tunnel entrance, but set pretty low in. We also have lots of short /end pieces- can those go in?