Life happened this past year. In January, in order to keep my sanity, I planted 36 tomato seeds and 12 pepper seeds on a sunny windowsill in a house kept at 60 degrees F. No bottom heat, sandy garden soil. 27 tomatoes came up. I don't remember the germination rate on the peppers, but after a month in a dark box, sporadic water, heat, cold, and me forgetting about them for lengths of time, I ended up with 2 peppers and 6 tomatoes when I got here. All of them recovered relatively quickly once they started getting actual sun and water.
The tomatoes appear to be a pillbug magnet. Literally, the pillbugs will pile up around them in a mound until there's nothing left, completely ignoring everything else they could eat. So I now have 3 tomatoes left, one in the hydroponics and two that I haven't planted yet because I know the pillbugs will get them.
On the other hand, I have one pepper in the hydroponics (one of the 2 that survived, the other is thriving in acidic clay soil) that really doesn't want to put roots down in the water. It has plenty of roots in the sphegnum moss I use as a base, but only one stringy root in the water. I suspect it's drought tolerant enough that it's resisting the transition.
My brain says, Hm. Possibly drought tolerant pepper that doesn't like the hydroponics, and tomatoes that the pillbugs will feast on if I set them out...
I'm thinking I'll take the pepper and put it in the ground, then put one of the tomatoes in the hydroponics in its place. Not sure, though. The pillbugs really like these tomatoes, and I'm not sure if that's something I want to encourage. I could get seeds off these tomatoes, then lose them all next spring because the pillbugs still like them. A lot.
I guess I'll find out.