I decided would begin writing my progress and realizations down over time, not unlike a journal, so that perhaps it might be of some us to others in a similar position, especially in my generation, or folks in general whose lives have been ruined at some point and have to start over from scratch, and so that I avoid the "millennial malaise" that rears its head every time I think about the current market... Feeling that I haven't made any progress.
Background : Age 29. Raised in lower middle class American suburbs. Did not graduate college after a traumatic period of life. Wasted roughly 5 years afterwards in a severely depressive state. Had to restart life entirely from the ground up. I have severe anxiety, but no vices or addictions, essentially nothing that ends up costing me any money. Living in Florida with family after working in remote Alaska during the summer of 2023. Enjoys all things outdoors, physical fitness, mountain biking (though I live in Florida...), hiking, photography, making electronic music, woodworking and carpentry, sourdough baking, gardening and farming, brewing beer, fly fishing, and random homestead things.
Economic Status : (Shameful savings, this is difficult for me to display publicly) : No major debts : $5,000 in emergency fund cash : $3,369 investment portfolio ($2,784 invested, $585 profit) : $1,500 in savings I'm getting ready to invest. I have a number of useful homesteading assets already that I've accumulated over the years trying to find happiness, which now are my own property, can be used or sold, like a pressure canner, felling axes, a proper bow for hunting, etc.
Longterm Goals : Build a life suitable for the girl I love while maintaining my own principles and desires of self-sufficiency (food, natural materials, natural building, etc.), less modern stress, and more creativity in various forms, like building a simple chair... She cares about the environment very much, but she is a sensitive girl, and her lifestyle will require a safe, structurally sound and relatively standard home with electricity, ideally, I feel like I should learn timber framing so I can tackle a proper log home myself, or pay a company to haul the materials and see if I can join in to reduce the costs, or heck, even work for a timber framing company and get a discount building my own log home with their kits... She is multiple years away from graduating, so I have about 2-3 years to dig in, learn, figure something out, then perhaps sell whatever I build to relocate where she'd like (she also wants a decent bit of land so this is a great boon to me), rent it out on AirBNB/use as an occasional vacation home when not listed on AirBNB, or ask her to join me indefinitely there if she finds what I've created suitable.
Short Term Goals :
- Figure out a location to live, and how remote I'd like to be (I greatly expect to end up in the North... New England, Pacific Northwest...)
- Pack up and leave, pay one month of rent somewhere cheap while I look for land and a job
- Buy a yurt and put on plot of land I purchase to begin farming
- Figure out electricity and heat PRIOR to WINTER... I am not opposed to power at the road, although I intend to have a solar generator of some sort, or a standard generator, I do not know yet. Really, I have no idea what people do for this aspect when starting fresh or from scratch, but not being able to access Permies for instance, or being able to charge my phone, is not going to be ideal.
- ENSURE before anything else I have a ROCKET MASS HEATER built and food storage secured.
- Begin building a small COTTAGE. The COTTAGE is essentially my own personal end goal for this venture (of which, I expect in my life to have multiple ventures). I want a natural cottage, not huge, just right, I basically want to live in the embodiment of a perfect bowl of porridge, and make the yurt I was living in into some type of creative space, or office, etc.
Closing Notes :
I would absolutely LOVE to hear ALL suggestions, comments, advice, what have you relative to what I post. Suggestions for locations to live, steps I should take relative to where I'm at, you get the picture. I do not simply hear people, I truly listen to them and take to heart the things I'm told.
What I type here is not exhaustive... I do not know if it will change... I do not know where any of this will lead, I do not know if someone will hear of this and reach out to help nearby, or if I will be stuck on my own trying to make it until my love can join me, either way, I do not care anymore. I want to homestead. I simply decided... it's better to have a plan, get organized, not be pessimistic, and take actionable steps towards what I desire, documenting the process for both myself, and others that feel there might be no hope as well. It will require risk... It will require sacrifice... I do not know what these will entail.
I just don't know, and I don't think I ever will, and I suppose that's ok.