Carla Burke

Rusticator
+ Follow
since Oct 29, 2013
Merit badge: bb list bbv list
Biography
A Christian & devoted Patriot, wife, soap maker, herbalist, formerly a homeschooler, baker, truck driver, and more. I was born in the South, but actually grew up around the Great Lakes. Both of my childhood families had big, lush gardens,& preserved everything they could for the winter. I carried that into my own life. But, change happens and for over a decade, it just wasn't an option. Now, retired in the Ozarks, on 29 heavily wooded acres of mostly ravines, our best crops are nearly inaccessible wild blackberries, rocks, wild herbs, and ticks. We're utilizing our burgeoning small-livestock collection, straw bales, raised beds, and containers to build soil, and a better, healthier life for ourselves and our beloved critters, who provide us with eggs, meat, milk, fiber, honey, beeswax, fertilizer, tick control, brush control, 'lawn' mowing, loads of entertainment, and even help turn the compost.
For More
Missouri Ozarks
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
In last 30 days
54
Forums and Threads

Recent posts by Carla Burke

Yum!! Cheese Danish, too!!
11 hours ago
Speaking as a former baker... I can't do it, lol. My 'favorite' depends on what's available and very fresh, when I walk in. If it's still warm, that's probably what I'll buy. At the first bakery where I worked, (which also is/ was my all time favorite bakery), there were many things but the one thing I've not been able to find since they sold it is a specific coffee cake. It's a laminated dough, extremely buttery, with cherry pie filling dolllops on top, and buttered pecans, throughout. I was never privy to that recipe. I really just need to start the journey to recreate it. It shouldn't be difficult - just a matter of pinning down the exact dough recipe.

Otherwise? Macarons, pan au Chocolat, eclairs, creme horns, fruit tartlettes, Napoleons, Russian tea cakes, ... most, of what I like, I just make, including finding keto or low carb recipes, but some things are just too big for two, and/or don't scale down, well. Orrrr... I'm too lazy to mess with them. 🤪
16 hours ago
Yup. Copperhead. I have no scale, for age, however, it's not a 'baby', because there's no yellow tail. Another indication it's not super young is that it went away. The youngest ones- the yellowtails, are the most dangerous, because not only have they not matured into being able to control the venom released, but (like the young of most species) they tend to be more reactive than the mature ones, and are more likely to go on the aggressive, rather than leave.

We generally leave them alone, unless they're hanging out too close to us or the livestock. They're important to our ecosystem, and we live in the woods - so we've invaded their home. Unfortunately for us, many folks within about a5 mile radius of us have sold their land for development, and we're now being overrun with a lot of wildlife, that has nowhere else to go.
17 hours ago
A week or so ago, my daughter bought (?!??) a jumping spider, as a pet. I'm looking forward to watching their journey, together!
18 hours ago
That sounds delicious, Inge! Thank you for translating and sharing it!!
18 hours ago
Well done, Timothy!! Nice harvest!!
Nope. I can't eat lettuce, anymore. 🥺
2 days ago
I leave them on. Even in my potato salad & mash. Granted, I prefer a rustic mash, complete with both peels and lumps. But, especially with a red potato, I like the visual of the intact peel.

I do the potato candy with baked russet potatoes, baked, then peeled. Then, the side benefit to potato candy is that we have those peels (which I leave some extra potato on), and deep fry them. Lovely, crispy side!
2 days ago
I'm a peel-on kind of gal - unless I'm craving & making old fashioned potato candy. That happens about once every 5 years or so.
2 days ago

Inge Leonora-den Ouden wrote:

Carla Burke wrote:Do you have more savory apple recipes, Inge?


It'll take some time to translate from Dutch to English.  I don't always have the time ... Please have patience.


Absolutely! Looking forward to them, thank you so much!
2 days ago