I’m at a point in my life where I’m looking to buy some land and start building the homestead I’ve dreamed about for years. I’d love to eventually share that life with the right person.
To be clear, I’m not looking for someone to pack their bags and move onto a piece of land with a stranger. There would obviously be plenty of time to get to know each other and see if there’s a genuine connection first. I’m posting here because finding someone who wants this kind of life can be difficult through the usual dating channels.
I was born and raised in Houston, but I’ve lived a pretty unconventional life. I’ve lived on a ranch in Mexico without electricity, spent time living in NYC, and most recently lived aboard a sailboat. Through all of those experiences, one dream has stayed with me: owning some land, becoming more self-sufficient, and creating a peaceful life that’s a little less dependent on the conventional way of doing things.
I’m very hands-on and enjoy building and fixing things. Give me enough time and YouTube videos and I could probably build a house from the ground up. I still have a lot to learn—especially when it comes to permaculture, growing food, and creating a truly sustainable property—and part of what excites me is learning those things along the way.
For work, I’m in the medical field. I spent many years as a paramedic and now coordinate organ transplants. I travel for work, but my schedule is extremely flexible and gives me a lot of control over how much I work and when.
I’m not religious, although I appreciate a lot of the philosophy found in Zen Buddhism. I’m also not particularly materialistic or politically driven. I value independence, curiosity, experiences, meaningful conversation, and having some freedom over how I spend my time.
A little more about me: I'm financially responsible and debt-free, although I expect to take out a mortgage when I purchase the land. I don’t smoke cigarettes, I drink socially, and occasionally use cannabis.
Ultimately, I’m not just looking for someone who wants to live “off grid.” I’d like to meet someone who wants to build a life together—someone who enjoys learning, working with their hands, being outdoors, laughing when things inevitably go wrong, and creating a home that feels like ours rather than mine.
If any of this sounds like the kind of life you’ve imagined for yourself, feel free to message me. I’d be happy to talk and see where things go.
—Rico