Thekla McDaniels

gardener
+ Follow
since Aug 23, 2011
Merit badge: bb list bbv list
Forum Moderator
Thekla McDaniels currently moderates these forums:
Biography
I ‘ve been studying soil life and the process of soil development since 1965, also, the then new idea that fossil fuels were a limited resource.  I farmed 2 1/2 acres in western Colorado, starting with fine grained ancient blowing desert sand but in 4 years was 6+ inches deep rich black soil! Using nothing but seeds and water, and strategic mowing and grazing.  Magic!
What a lot of fun that was.
Currently renting a small apartment with NO yard or ground.  YIKES!  No south facing windows, just one big beautiful north facing window.

Seeking my next piece of earth to tend.
Can’t wait to see what happens next.
For More
Western Slope Colorado.
Apples and Likes
Apples
Total received
In last 30 days
70
Forums and Threads

Recent posts by Thekla McDaniels

A standard recipe that is infinitely variable at my house is what I call “fritatta”.  

Saute some chopped onion in butter or olive or avocado oil…. Or bacon greaee or beef drippings… an edible fat you like and consider food.

When the onions are as done as you like them, add a clove or two of garlic, chopped or minced or through a garlic press.

I don’t really want to cook the garlic so after a minute for the flavor to disperse I add the next ingredient: handfuls of washed greens.

When the greens are wilted I pour in eggs that have been stirred as for scrambled eggs, and stir them around to disperse,

Then quickly stir in some grated cheese.

Then top with more grated cheese.

It can be put under the broiler or into a preheated oven, or if you have done all this in a cast iron dutch oven, just place the lid on.  (I often preheat the lid)

Cook til done.  Should only be a few minutes.  “Done”, yes, what is that ?  

The eggs are as cooked as the household prefers or will accept.  The cheese is melted, or the cheese on top is browned, which won’t happen with just the cast iron lid.

Serve with grain and salsa/chutney and or nuts

Variations:  
add leftovers
Include tofu cubes or nuts
Add parboiled cubed potatoes or other root vegetables
Cubed or grated zuchini
Cubed or grated winter squash
Mix cooked spaghetti squash in before the eggs, or put it in as a layer
Add various different flavorful herbs and or spices
Vary the texture… if everything got cooked to mush, add some crunch in the late stage, like chopped celery right before the egg goes in.

Basically, you could call this mixed foods held together by eggs and flavored with cheese.  Or egg consolidated stir fry.

You’re just adding them in the order required to achieve everything cooked and nothing burned.

If it doesn’t taste that great, and some combinations are better than others, that’s what the condiments are for!🤣

This can go together in about half an hour, once you’re familiar with the routine of the recipe.

Here’s a specific example

Broccoli Potato Frittata

Turn oven on to preheat ~ 300F

Cut a couple potatoes into half-3/4 inch chunks.  Put in a saucepan with water to just cover, put it on high heat.  While the potatoes are cooking,

Saute chopped onion in olive oil.
Meanwhile cut broccoli into bite sized pieces… keeping an eye on the onions and stirring as needed and adjusting heat

Prepare the garlic for adding to the pan
Grated some cheese

In the saucepan, check the water level - make sure it’s not going to dry out and burn but ideally there also isn’t going to be water to pour off.  Poke the potatoes with a fork.  They need to be at least half cooked.
Add the broccoli to the potatoes to steam.

Crack the eggs and stir them up.
Add the garlic to the onions, stir

Add the broccoli and potatoes (after pouring off any remaining water)to the onions and garlic.  Stir them in.  Check is there enough oil to prevent sticking, might need to add a little oil and dtir through.

Pour in prepared eggs, stir.
Add cheese, stir.
Add cheese to top.

Put in heated oven

I wrote up this particular sequence for my son to follow when he was ready to move beyond pasta and spaghetti sauce.  (It was his turn to make dinner twice a week)

I hope this helps!

Also, you might want to look into getting a copy of Kate Downham’s cookbook: “A Year in an Offgrid Kitchen.

Her recipes are infinitely variable.  Organized by season, so that they’re calling for things that are coming out of the garden at the same time of year.




23 hours ago
About encouraging bigger tubers by removing the flowers, I think to truly test if that is true, a person would need to remove all buds at earliest recognition.  By the time a flower opens, the plant has invested a LOT of energy into it.

If the tubers were big enough and plentiful enough, no reason not to make wine too.

If the number and size are on the puny side, removing the buds before they form is like removing garlic scapes to get bigger bulbs.

2 days ago
Wow!  With that nutritional analysis info, I am wondering if I should plant this year’s tubers in a region of the goat pasture.  I already try to have alfalfa, chicory, comfrey, maximillian sunflower, dock, bindweed etc etc etc. If I have the pasture growing more food than they can eat, favorite plants don’t seem to get over grazed.

I like them being able to choose their feed, “what they feel like eating right now.”
3 days ago
Yeah, I did make a mess of that quote…

I wanted to add that there are lavender growers in the Pacific Northwest that cover the ground beneath and around their lavender plants with oyster shell, to reflect the light.  

I thought that was an ingenious strategy.
3 days ago

Anne Miller wrote:I named my dog 5 Miles so I can tell people I walk five miles every day.



🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
4 days ago

Judith Brown I once managed several bushes of [i wrote:Indigofera [/i]at a place I worked in Wales, and they were never very happy there. No deer, but too wet I imagine, so they were very sparse on foliage and rarely tried to flower. I never did manage to use any. At least Persicaria usually has no problem with rain



I might have clipped the quote to the wrong writer, if so, sorry.  It’s kind of tricky.

I wanted to comment on the rain situation.  A person could make an herb spiral to raise the plant up out of too wet soil conditions.  It would also warm the roots if that’s contributing to the problem for the plant.  And if the plant wants brighter light, reflectors might help.

I know that’s a lot of trouble to go to, to grow a plant that’s not happy in the local environment, but 🤷🏻‍♀️ there are some plants worth working that hard for!  Like a dye plant!  Blue is blue after all.  
4 days ago
My dog is outside most of the time.  Being a Great Pyr, and recovering from a mysterious condition for which she was treated by daily high doses of prednisone, for almost a year, she rests a lot.

The vet said she needed to lose the extra poundage she put on while on the prednisone, so drive the 1.2 mile round trip to the mailbox and invite her to run.  She appears to enjoy it!  And for me, it’s great that she’s healthy and energetic again.  I try to take her on the mailbox adventure several times a week.

She was so hungry while on restricted calories that she ate some inappropriate things (for example, a nest full of days- from-hatching guinea eggs😔). By getting more exercise, she can have more dog food.😊
5 days ago
Well, that answers my questions, thanks,  I sure hope repriming helps!

Thinking about that pipe, and only from the perspective of the age of the pipe, my bias is that the old poly pipe probably stopped off gassing years ago and is preferable to replacing the line.

If it has always been clean water going in, then I would assume it is still clean inside, even if some micro organisms have taken up residence.  

But for sure, when our young ones are growing the bodies that will have to last them their whole lives, determine how long those lives will be, and be factors in the quality of those lives, water quality is incredibly important!  

Best luck!😊
5 days ago
Hmmmmm, Interesting

I think the earthen material stabilizes temperatures by absorbing and releasing atmospheric moisture, though I am not knowledgeable enough on it to say anything definitive.

My understanding is that as humidity rises at night, earthen walls absorb moisture.  Then, when it is warmer, that moisture evaporates out of the walls, adding a cooling effect.  Seems entirely non-applicable to high humidity situations.  

And I wonder, if it’s an enclosed space, if the increased humidity is significant, won’t that negate any benefit to warm blooded animals (like me) who rely on evaporative cooling of their skin.

It’s just an idea I heard some folks kicking around.

I have been taking down the cheapo 1/8 inch thick paneling in my hovel, at least it’s laminated wood with some faux wood grain on it.  I once lived in a building where the interior wallboard was actually compressed paper.  I am preparing for sheetrock installation.  Not that it’s thick enough to provide mass that retains its temperature, but the material is heavy!  I do think it will slow the temperature swings a bit.
6 days ago

Allen Ayers wrote:

The author Nicole Apelian has been accused of heavy AI use in several of her books by many herbalists, I'd recommend doing your due diligence and double checking any recipes or claims you see in that book. Better safe than sorry!



Thank you for mentioning this.  I was given a copy of it, and haven’t looked deeply into it, probably because I have already collected so many books.  I think I will look closely at it during the winter to come.
1 week ago