• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Low Maintenance Fruit Trees

 
gardener
Posts: 965
Location: ZONE 5a Lindsay Ontario Canada
18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

ediblecities wrote:
You're talking about heartnut - isn't this a juglans, hence a HUGE tree? The guy at our nursery said that they reach 20 m in diameter.
Plums, yea as a kid we always had tons of plums.
For warmer climates acerola cherry, but a grafted one, gives you fruit in less than a year.
I have some American Pawpaw seeds and some Persimmon seeds, but no one has sprouted so far.
I looked at grafting in books and it seems to be easy, but they never tell you which seedling you  take for what and where do you get the seeds for this seedling. They only tell you the principle. I think I would give it a try.



Yeah, heartnut is a big tree but they don't have to be pruned for shape as far as I know, and I'd put them on the north side of a forest garden scheme. I'm blessed enough to have about 30-40 acres of 100 to plant.

I plan to try grafting but don't want to rely on it for making up significant part of my tree crops. At least not this decade.
 
You had your fun. Now it's time to go to jail. Thanks for your help tiny ad.
the next generation of humanure
https://www.richsoil.com/willow
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic